Sign in to follow this  
Terry

My new flying test bed

To save myself time in testing new equipment in the air I have designed a new plane. I based it on the slow stick for flexibility but have made it much more heavy duty. It flys for up to 40mins and handle wind well with a 40 size trainer wing fitted. It has a standard size 10mm square shaft and all the fittings for wings and equipment are cnc cut from 2.3mm pcb material which makes it very strong. As both the main wing and the tail are rubber banded on it is not only easy to store/transport but it is also easy to change the wing and tail type for testing or conditions.

Here is some video from it on a recent test flight

post-8-1187535889_thumb.jpg

I've always liked the simplicity of the Slowstick. But I'm not a fan of that model because it gets blown around too much in the wind. Your super-sized version looks great and surely resolves that issue. Too bad there wasn't a low cost kit out there.

What model did the wing originally come from?

Speaking of new models, I just maiden'd another one today (Hobby Lobby's Cessna C37 53" ARF). I'll try to post some comments about it in a day or so. No snazzy video clips like you shared, but I have a couple of snapshots. :)

Yes the slowstick has a lot of users so I do wonder why it has not been followed up with a bigger version. It is very draggy but it dose not show in the way it flys or the flight times.

The wing I am using is from a trainer called 'Arising Star', it's a bit heavy but very strong as you would expect from a trainer. I am trying to get hold of some glider wings to use with it, it's an easy swap as the wing mount are fully adjustable it seconds just like the slowstick.

C37, yes post some pics please, it's always good to see what guys are flying. How has your last new plane worked out ? has it lived up to expectations ?

Terry

Nice plane there, very useful to try new things fast in there. I saw your video what are those white lines scrolling down? Multipathing? CouldnĀ“t be a ground loop problem?

Those lines were my number one hate BROADBAND. You must be lucky enough to fly where braodband is not, every year it gets worse here :(

Terry

Those lines were my number one hate BROADBAND.

I know how you feel. One of my local park fields is now unusable for wireless video due to the nearby household wi-fi routers and other RF based devices.

How has your last new plane worked out ? has it lived up to expectations ?

Ahh, the Telemaster Electro is an awesome model. For those folks that need to haul a lot of electronic gear with room to spare, and want a very stable flying platform, it is highly recommended. I don't have any complaints about it. :)