I have been flying mainly at William Bennett RC aircraft field in Southeast Las Vegas, Nevada USA. I have flown 60% of the time with RC aircraft with onboard wireless video systems. Most of spectators and RC pilots enjoy the FPV flying I do there. However an issue came up. Very few there do not like that I fly FPV. Those few has taking steps to have FPV flying bannned. Those few stating that I am in violation of AMA rule 10 of radio control operating a model aircraft without being in direct visual contact with the aircraft. :(

AMA states that by equipping the aircraft with a wireless video system allows me to view the enviroment in which the aircraft is operating. AMA states that this takes it from being a model aircraft to an unmanned aerial system (UAS). I would like to share the notice sent to me by certified mail. They asked me to cease operating the aircraft via video down link at Bennett Field. :o

I have flown beyond visual contact. So that I believe raised concern for some people there. Also AMA sent me FAA regulations, regards to obtaining a flight plan.

Please read and please if those of your fly at an AMA santioned airstrip if you are allowed to fly FPV. So now I am under the impression that we cannot fly VR FPV. Most people at the field said that I fly great with take offs and landings smoothly. If I fly closer to field within visual contact of others, then I should be granted to fly FPV. In FPV you can see ahead of you say helicopters did not yield to your called landing. Then you can abort, then retry. Try that without FPV. viewing aircraft third person view. (ground view looking at plane).

I have more on this how do I attach multiple pages? would like to share

Please take the time and look at attached.

post-5-1187941493_thumb.jpg

Edited by lvsupertech

Seems they don't move with the times, they should cover all aspects of the hobby, time to drop them !

Terry

I would like to see the page on the definition of a model vs a UAS.

No one has seemed to lock that down yet, but it has been indicated by FAA that if you use the model aircraft for hobby or recreational is a model aircraft.

Can you attach the other documents they sent you? Specifically from the FAA?

-dave

Ok I will send 6 pages from FAA. I only use onboard camera systems for my hobby. Enjoying FPV view. Nothing more. I think discribing it as UAS UAV not apply to me. First 2nd page AMA then on to FAA. Input and suggestions welcome.

post-5-1188025624_thumb.jpg

FAA Page 6 of 6. What about FPV flyers who are flying at a remote area? Not at an AMA santioned RC airstrip? I have seen you tube videos of FPV pilots who fly over 3600 meters or say 11,000 feet. I think in other countries outside the usa. Some in the usa. The AMA asked me to cease flying with aircraft onboard camera system At Bennett Field Las Vegas Nevada USA.

HERE IS THE LAST PAGE FROM FAA. THANK YOU

post-5-1188026840_thumb.jpg

I´m not from US so just curious what AMA stands for?

Academy Of Model Aeronautics

;)

If you are doing at an AMA field, it is not approved by AMA.

Since you are a hobbyist, flying for recreation you are flying a model aircraft as indicated on page 5 of your attached images. There is no law preventing you from doing this activity. The FAA encourages your volentary compliance with the guidelines in AC 91-57.

What it boils down to is find a location that is remote and keep the altitude below 400. If you don't do anything stupid, FAA is ok with modelers doing FPV.(for the time being).

Should be plenty of open country where you are.. Go find it, and have fun.

lvspark; Thank you for your imput on this. I believe that as with many changes day to day, with this hobby for example, more and more RC flyers becoming FPV Flyers. The AMA should allow this. I am working on a good letter for them with signatures. Many people here in Vegas know my FPV flying respecful and safe. Of course I will cooperate with FAA guidlines. ;)

Let me know when you'd like to write that letter to the AMA. The problem right now is not alot of FPV fliers want to come up with a general rule set or operation standards for FPV flying. I believe it'd be better to start with some guidelines for them and work from there. It might be in our best interest to start a special interest group. However only about 5 people have contacted me in doing so.

tipicalaimster; I agree. Need involvement. I am sure there are more then just 5 persons out there to pull together on this. The AMA should allowflying, at AMA santioned fields. The problem in Vagas is the very few at Bennett Field are afraid that the county of clark parks and recreation department will shut down the public airfield. There is alot of friction there. Vegas is growing rapidly. So for example; new housing tracts went up just west of field. Some residents complained of noise, some complained that we were flying over their homes. East and north of field is all open where we fly. At least I do and people I know there do. Since the new homes went up more problems such as people walking or riding bicycles with children! on tar matt runway. We have not complained about that to parks and recreation. Just called out to warn them of danger. Did notwant more friction there. Might give the committee another reason to shut down the field.

One thing came to mind: what about model rockets? Are there FAA guideline regulations of model rockets? Certain high power ones soar very high. Well into the ATC. Rockets soar higher then most of us will fly FPV.

Many organized rocket events have a waiver from the FAA that covers the time, place, and altitude that flights may occur.

gwh thank you for info. Rc tubine aircraft have to sign waiver with AMA?

I need to read again on this. Getting older lol. If so

How about for us as FPV flyers?

gwh thank you for info. Rc tubine aircraft have to sign waiver with AMA?

I need to read again on this. Getting older lol. If so

How about for us as FPV flyers?

A waiver was one of my original suggestions when we first started. This would follow very close to the turbine waiver. Basically you have to get an experienced FPV pilot to check you out every now and then to make sure you're current with the rules.

We have a few clubs here in the DC Metro area that do not allow FPV flying. This is for the same reasons you explain here. It's mostly due to the counties hand in their fields management. I can understand their fear since many of them have lost several fields due to development. I would like to leave it open to the field safety officer. If they feel it's something the field is equipped for then have at. There are many fields in my area that are just not equipped for FPV flying. Usually these are existing electric fields in close proximity to houses.

--Scott

Basically you have to get an experienced FPV pilot to check you out every now and then to make sure you're current with the rules.

Won't be easy finding experienced FPV flyers to get the waiver though....

Thanks for replies. I have been FPV flying at a dry lake in the middle of the desert near Las Vegas NV. No problems with FPV there.