I am doing th eXcam 4 project, sort of.

I have a panasonic ccd camera working satisfactorily, but cannot get the pre-amped mic to work.

It is a SuperCircuits #PA3 with three connections - power/ground and signal/ground. The grounds are wound together.

I am powering it off the X10 transmitter board leads. The transmitter gets its power from two 9 volt batteries wired in series, using a rectifier to make it 12 volts.

The mic is rated at 12 volts. I am obvioisly doing something wrong...

I have it wired to the transmitter ground, the audio wire (white), and the red power wire.

any help apreciated.

thanks!

Edited by billrad

The first thing I would do is test the microphone. Hack on an rca plug to the audio/ground connections then plug it into one of the audio channels on your vcr. You should be able to hear the audio through the tv. If not, then the microphone is suspect.

Regards,

Bill

Great, thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I believe it may be something else with the way I have it wired...

My question is this - on the rccam4, the positive lead of the dc-dc converter goes to the Anode side of the diode.

On my rig, I use a battery pack. I have the power going to the original power wiring, which does not terminate on the anode. The red + lead actually passes through the transmitter board, and terminates on the board of the old camera.

I currently have this red wire positive lead going to the mic. Do I have this whacked?

I know it is something simple, but I am toooo close to it! I have the dc to dc board coming soon, so maybe when I rewire it, if I haven't fixed it by then, it will magically disappear!

thanks

Bill

I suspect one of two things. (1) Power is missing from the MIC. Have you check with a voltmeter? Or, (2) MIC is wired wrong. Incorrect wiring may damage the MIC.

Oh, there is a third suspect: defective MIC. As YB2Normal suggests, test it on your VCR or your PC's Line Level Audio Input. Be sure to apply DC power to the MIC during the test or it will not work at all.

The xcam2 provides two sources of power from the wallwart to the tx and camera. One is always on, and provides power to the camera. The other is switched by the x10 module buried in the wallwart. They did this because the warm up time of the cmos camera is pretty slow, and they want users to be able to rapidly switch between different cameras.

Just so we understand, you are successfully transmitting video from the xcam tx to rx, but not audio? How are you powering the ccd camera?

A picture is worth a thousand words, if you can post a pic, that would help.

Regards,

Bill

first of all, really appreciate the help!

I have two power sources in use.

Transmitter:

I have two 9 volt batteries wired in series, using a rectifier to supply 12 volts.

It is wired into the original external power supply cord of the X10 tansmitter. I have not removed any of the existing wiring. I have only severed the original 5 wires going to the original cmos camera on the plastick stalk. It is to these wires I am connecting (or attempting to). One of these wires is the red + lead, which never seems to connect to the transmitter board, but instead wound through a hole on the board and continued to the original cmos camera board.

Camera:

As far a s the panasonic CCD camera, it has 4 leads. Two go to a totally separate 4.8 volt nicad rc pack. The other two, for video, go to the video lead (yellow) of the X10 transmitter and the ground (black).

The camera transmits beautifully.

I may post pictures tonight, but I think it has something to do with the way I am supplying power to the transmitter, and grounding...

thanks

Edited by billrad

Eureka, I have it figured out.

Sometimes, it is the simple things.

I took everyone's advice and tried the mic on a VCR. Nothing...so I said to myself - check the continuity, dummy.

That's when I found out that WHITE is positive, and RED is audio....

soo simple.

Now I am rocking and rolling like a big dog!!!

Thanks everyone!

Very cool.

Bill the gratefull