Hey,

I'm sorta new to this FPV flying ordeal and already have a few successful flights under my belt but I have a question for the group, I bought the 1000mw kit that Wade from futurehobbies is selling and it comes with the 520 line sony camera with a built-in microphone and I'm having horrible problems with the audio that I get from it. The plane I am flying is a Carl Goldberg Tiger 2 .46 Nitro plane that is quite loud but I can't even hear the engine amongst the overpowering noise of the wind both entering the mic hole and hitting the camera case. Has anyone here had any success with somehow muffling the wind noise yet keeping the engine noise?

Thanks again for the great help,

James

Most of us don't use the audio as it's not very interesting to hear wind noise or engine buzz for the whole flight. Adding music to the video is the most common solution and can make even a boring video ( like mine ) watchable.

If you realy want the engine buzz then foam over the mike or even just blank off the mike holes would probably help. If this is not enough then try extending the mike wire and place it out of the wind. Maybe add a small pot to adjust the gain at the same time.

Terry

Open it up. 99% of my gear has been opened to modify it ;)

Terry

Terry's ideas are good things to try. If the audio is distorted, then you can try installing a pot on the audio output signal of the camera. Somewhere on the forum is a discussion about doing that sort of thing. However, if the mic is exposed directly to the wind, then you will need to move it to a protected area to reduce the wind noise.

I'm with you -- I like to hear the model. The noise helps me tell what is going on with the model and such. And, it helps "tell the story" to those that view the video later on. I like a nice bit of music with a very subtle mix of model audio. But, everyone has a different opinion when it comes to audio. :)

Edited by Mr.RC-Cam

Terry's ideas are good things to try. If the audio is distorted, then you can try installing a pot on the audio output signal of the camera. Somewhere on the forum is a discussion about doing that sort of thing. However, if the mic is exposed directly to the wind, then you will need to move it to a protected area to reduce the wind noise.

I'm with you -- I like to hear the model. The noise helps me tell what is going on with the model and such. And, it helps "tell the story" to those that view the video later on. I like a nice bit of music with a very subtle mix of model audio. But, everyone has a different opinion when it comes to audio. :)

Hey I totally agree with that! I too like to hear the plane complimented with some music on the final video production. ;)

The microphone sell by Future hobbies is a lot to sensible. The audio signal is so loud it will even affect the video signal , I get interference in my video when the motor turn, it probably also affect the receiver of the plane, only one battery power everything onboard.

I installed a pot on the audio output wire and it corrct the problem onthe video and range but the sound was still distorsion. I fianlly replace a resistor in the mic with a higher value, it was 15 000 ohm(153), I replace it with 600 kohm.

The photo is not clear, but you will see which resistor I mean, I extend to wire and use 1/4W resistor

post-8-1189523025_thumb.jpg

The microphone sell by Future hobbies is a lot to sensible. The audio signal is so loud it will even affect the video signal ...

The Future Hobbies mic seems to be the popular supercircuits.com #PA3, which is indeed very sensitive. The PA3 was designed to be a "hidden" microphone for secretly recording voices. Like you, in some of my installations I had to modify them too.

A few months ago I finally took out a big hammer and fixed the problem. For me, the best way was to design a mic myself. It works dandy; a little volume control on it allows me to set the audio sensitivity to whatever I need. Problem solved.

Here is what it looks like. It is very small, perhaps a tad larger than the supercircuits PA3.

post-8-1189529823_thumb.jpg

Care to share some of your design specs and component values? :) Maybe offer it as a kit or complete through DPCAV?

Thanks,

-dave

Maybe offer it as a kit or complete through DPCAV?

Sorry for the late reply. PM Sent.

HI there, any chance I could get info on this little mic too? I have the most recent future hobbies mic and it is so loud with noise that it is un-usable.

Thanks!

It's not going to be available as a DiY project. But, the microphone was added to the dpcav.com catalog a few weeks ago. http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.php?pro...=103&page=1

The Mic is for A/V transmitters that need a 1V line level signal. If your A/V Tx's audio-input is already pre-amplified, then one of the $2 Radio Shack Electret Condenser types should work for you. Look for the one with three wires (power, Gnd, Sig).