I've been searching for a cheap, light can for a park flyer and came a crossed gearcam.com. Has anyone else seen or used one of these? Are they any good?

Thanks for the feed back,

Delorian

Product specs are very vague. I looked at the web site and could not find a contact email address. That is rarely a good sign. The company name is a Ham call sign owned by a fellow in Ohio.

If you contact the vendor, get the Tx's FCC ID number and post it. I would be curious if it is really FCC type accepted/approved. {It would need more than just "FCC" printed on it -- it needs an FCC assigned ID number}

I tracked down an email address doing a google search. I sent him a message with some questions before I posted this. If he replies, I'll see if he will give me the other info.

His address is 'info-AT-k8xg.com' if you want it. He seems to be big into rocketry from the other sites that k8xg is linked to...

Thanks,

Actually if you go to k8xg.com you will see that this guy is a hobbiest ans is selling more then whats on the gearcam site. So go check it out, I did and I am glad I did. Baggs

Here's his reply to the first set of questions. I'll post the other with his next reply.

----- Original Message -----

Subject: Gear Cam

I'm thinking about ordering your GearCam system, but I have a few questions.

1. What's with all the red blur in the videos? Is that normal? Do you have any vids without that?

2. Are you planning on coming out with a CCD cam version? (Non pin hole)

3. What's the weight of the cam? I want to install it on a GWS Tiger Moth for now.

4. How long will it Xmit with the 9V battery?

5. Can I cut the connector off to save weight or does it have a little xformer in like others I've seen?

Thanks for the info,

Subject: Gear Cam

on number one, that is caused by direct sunlight into the camera reflected off the bright green monocoat of the zagi wing.

1) see www.BoosterVision.com for some videos of the Mini GearCam, and also click over to the hi power section and see a larger CCD camera system used in larger planes , helis and rockets.

This spring I will have to redo my flying wing videos on my new winger that won't have the glare.

2) I can special order glass lens mini gear cams, they cost a bit more. they are still cmos.

3) I belive the wieght is all in the battery.

I'd have to wieght it again tonight, but it's must less then the 9volt by far.

I think total with 9 volt is 3 or 3.5 ozs

I'll email it to you latter tonight.

4) good ones, 10-15mins

5) it has a little regulator to 5 volts,. you can cut it off and power the unit with a 4.8 volt mini 150mah ni-mh battery. I bought one from mr, nicad and do this.

A picture of that battery and the glass lens mini gear cam can bee seen on the lander at my www.LanderChallenge.com website.

I really diod not see much difference between glass lens and pin hole myself.

PS typos caused by using browser email software while on the road, sorry.

And here is the other reply. What do you think? Besides it being cmos, is it a good system that could be updated?

Subject: RE: Gear Cam

Thanks the info, One more question before I order if I may...

Can I get the Tx's FCC ID number. Just want to check it out to make sure it's OK in Cali where I live. I know the e-bay/Hong Kong ones are illegal.

Thanks again,

Subject: RE: Gear Cam

they are fcc stickered cams on a real honest 2.4ghz.

they are not the 1.04 ghz ebay illegal cams saying they are 1.2 or 2.4 when they are not.

Here's his last message,

the weight of the GearCam is less then .5 oz. more like .4 avg.

with the energizer battery weighted with it as a total system was 2.56 oz.

Notice also our 2.4ghz transmitter antenna is a small stub out the back of the cam,

the the 1gig e-bay cams have a 2 to 3 inch antenna wire out the side.

I'm going to try once more for the FCC number.....

Delorian

Besides it being cmos, is it a good system that could be updated?

If it is FCC registered then RF power will be under 1mW. That is a bit low for most folk's needs. Generally speaking, I recommend CCD cameras using 50-100mW for parkflyers and 200mW for larger models. Obtaining the ham license is not difficult and offers more than just a ticket to legally use wireless video gear.

If you ever get the FCC Part 15 Reg number please post it.