Billiam411

GP Patch Antenna question

ok, im following rc-cam's instructions for the gp patch antenna. the problem is that the receiver that i have does not use the standard SMA connection for the antenna. someone at radioshack (while i was looking for the part) said it might be a sub-BNC or miniBNC connection or something. anyone have any ideas as to what it might be and where i can get the appropriate part for it? (pcb mount)

if anyone needs any more pics for size reference or something i can take them.

thanks

(Any other tips on building this patch antenna are also welcome)

i am accurate with the metal plates themselves, i cut them and filed them down very accurately. i still cant find a proper connector for it to plug into my receiver though.

What is the U/M scale on the ruler shown in the photo? What is the diameter of the connector?

It is not a member of the BNC family. The usual choices are F, SMA, and reverse SMA. I suspect it is a F.

The picture just looks like a standard SMA, how is it different ?

Terry

the measurement scale is milimeters (the numbers) and the smallest tick marks are .5mm

i was looking in radioshack and all of the sma connecters looked too big. i have seen the normal sma connections before, but this is definitely smaller.

could it be a TNC connection?

Edited by Billiam411

ok, so if it is an SMA (which that spec sheet and a caliper seem to prove) then what radioshack part number should i be looking for? i searched their website and only 2 hits came up, one of which was an SMA-TNC adaptor. am i going to have to special order this from online somewhere? remember it needs to be pcb mounted

Radio Shack does not carry SMA connectors. The GPP web page has information to the sources and part numbers that you can use.

The picture just looks like a standard SMA, how is it different ?

Terry

SMA is 2 times smaller than F. (SMA is MUCH more expensive, and maybe patented somehow).

Edited by kbosak