Sign in to follow this  
oxxyfx

5.8 Ghz omni and patch or PCB

Hi,

I've spent quite some time today trying to find some kind of antenna design on the web for 5.8Ghz. I need an omni - 3dbi for the transmitter and a patch or pcb design for the receiver side. I've seen tons of staff for 2.4 GHz, but barely any for 5.8. Even manufatrurers would sell tri-mode whips - but not one specific for 5.8Ghz.

If you have come across or have similar design plese forward me to the right direction.

Thanks,

Ox.

For the omni just create a simple 1/4 wave dipole or use a re-scaled YB2normal Groundplane version. Dimensions will be very critical, so pay attention. :)

I haven't seen DiY 5.8GHz PCB patch build instructions, but don't give up. No doubt someone, somewhere, has published such info. Otherwise, there are low cost PCB patches that are available commercially.

For the omni just create a simple 1/4 wave dipole or use a re-scaled YB2normal Groundplane version. Dimensions will be very critical, so pay attention. :)

I haven't seen DiY 5.8GHz PCB patch build instructions, but don't give up. No doubt someone, somewhere, has published such info. Otherwise, there are low cost PCB patches that are available commercially.

Airwave make a PCB 5.8GHz patch, not shown on there website, but did see on another RF gear website advertising them for sale. It has 4 square copper area's etched, with what looks like tuned tracks coupling these together. I'll try and re-find it. Looks especially useful for wing mounting I imagine.

##EDIT found the link http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php?ma...products_id=113 Just ordered a couple, I'll test and report back when they arrive.. Only problem, these are vertically polarised and only 4db gain.

Steve

Edited by Stevie

I'll try and re-find it. Looks especially useful for wing mounting I imagine.

The 4-array PCB patch does reasonably well. However, it is not completely suitable for wing mounting unless you fly mostly directly overhead. But, it's worth a try since it might be fine for what you have in mind.

This particular PCB patch works best in receiver installations that don't need a huge amount of RF gain and can accommodate its beamwidth. It is especially useful in environments that can't use an omni on the Rx due to local interference sources, including multipathing. Otherwise, a omni dipole/ducky on the Rx does surprisingly well on 5.8Ghz A/V applications.

##EDIT found the link ...

FWIW, I think oxxyfx (the original poster) is familiar with Airwave patch antenna. I recall that he owns and operates the online store you linked to. :)

The 4-array PCB patch does reasonably well. However, it is not completely suitable for wing mounting unless you fly mostly directly overhead. But, it's worth a try since it might be fine for what you have in mind.

This particular PCB patch works best in receiver installations that don't need a huge amount of RF gain and can accommodate its beamwidth. It is especially useful in environments that can't use an omni on the Rx due to local interference sources, including multipathing. Otherwise, a omni dipole/ducky on the Rx does surprisingly well on 5.8Ghz A/V applications.

FWIW, I think oxxyfx (the original poster) is familiar with Airwave patch antenna. I recall that he owns and operates the online store you linked to. :)

Ok I now have 4 of these Airwave Phase array patches, these are not 4dbi as I previously stated, but are 7dbi :o

#Specs from the factory data state:-

Electronic Properties:

Frequency Ranges: 5.8GHz

Impedance: 50 Ohm nominal

Gain: 7dBi(TYP.)

Radiation: Patch

(not stated.. Weight 10.6gms, with the short coax fitted)

I tested a commercial 6dbi radome patch, the Airwave one blew it it out the water by miles. I also hooked up RSSI monitoring to check sig strength on the two patches, again the Airwave one came out top.

In 'real' (ground) testing the airwave patch performed very well, with a wider reception angle than I thought possible, considering the gain of 7dbi. So this may work well on my FPV Heli, using the same patches on the ground station, with twin RX's & Oracle Diversity Controller.. etc.

Steve

I tried some of the PCB antennas you find all over the net for 2.4 and they sux :-)

the PCB material they use is FR4, the antenna was just a neat looking dummy load,

and this is much worse at 5.8 if you use FR4 material.

so I am sure if you find those PCB antennas good for 5.8 they must be made using a bit more exotic PCB material,

that will explain why they work at all :-)

please measure those PCB antennas gain and returnloss and compare with antennas made the real way.

a whip antenna for 2.4 can be opened and modified for 5.8

that way you end up with 3dB more radiation compared to a GP,

Mark have some nice closeup pictures of whip modifications even with measurements added.

btw : cut that thinn coax as short as possible !

expect to have 1dB loss pr 10cm at 5.8 in so thinn coax !

Here is a GP for 5.8GHz

58GHz_GP1.jpg

58GHz_GP2.jpg

58GHz_GP3.jpg

all measurements are EXTREAMLY critical I added a tiny drop of solder to make it longer after I cut 0.1mm too much off.

Edited by ThomasScherrer