mark

FS8 Co Pilot Integrated RX and PDC10

I have never used either of these products so I'm uncertain if they can be used together. Can I use the FS8 with the PDC10 or do I have to go with the older CPD4 version of the co-pilot?

Thanks,

Mark

As long as you are leveling the plane with one channel and turning the plane with another, you should be ok. For example, give control of the rudder to the PDC10 and give control of the ailerons to the copilot.

Regards,

Bill

I talked to u-nav today and they said I didn't need to use a copilot if I use the pdc10 on the rudder. What do you think about this? Is anyone flying a pdc10 without a wing leveler? If I don't us the copilot do I have to use the pdc20? I will be using this on a 3-ch electric without ailerons.

Mark

There might be situations where you don't need the wing leveler, but in my personal experience, here is what happened:

If I dialed in high throws on the PDC10 and did not use a wing leveler, the plane would go into a death spiral when the PDC10 commanded a turn.

When I turned the PDC10 throws down to avoid the death spiral, it's turn authority was so poor that a small amount of wind easily prevented it from making turns.

Now I'm sure this is very platform dependant, so it is probably worth giving it a try and seeing what happens.

Are you just using this as a "come home feature" to get the plane back into range if it flys too far out?

Regards,

Bill

Edited by yb2normal

Thanks Bill,

I would like to use it for a point-to-point UAV.

I really wouldn’t feel comfortable using the pdc10 without some kind of leveler. I was really hoping to be able to use the new fs8 copilot. Have you opened yours yet? :) I’m curious to know if it could be hacked and the pdc10 placed inline between the RX and leveler circuitry.

I was also thinking of using a dual-axis accelerometer. What advantages or disadvantages would this approach yield. I’m new to this stuff so I’m not sure which way to go. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My long-term goal is to design the complete system myself, the leveler and guidance system.

Regards,

Mark

I suspect that the integration of the FS8 is such that you could not simply inject the pdc10 signal just before the leveler circuitry.

maybe split your rudder in two, and give control of half to the pdc10 and half to the copilot :)