Hello everybody , We( my 13 years old son and I ) are new on this forum ,but we are very interested to learn more .

We have a lot of questions, but now I would like to know if there is a way to extract the GPS data send them via radio ,and after receiving them translate them back again to NMEA sentences. I know about Tiny Track but I would like to run on my computer Visual gps http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPS/default.htm , and for what I understood ( not too much really) the data available on the radio receiver are not usable . I’m attaching a picture from more the 3000 feet that my son reached at the third flight (we have a video too)

Thank you also to answer at my previous question about PDC 10 and GPS. We figure out that was the poor Gps satellite coverage ….

Thanks everybody

Giorgio and Simon

post-8-1075937664_thumb.jpg

One way to get VisualGPS to work, you can use a Terminal Node

Controller (TNC) attached to your laptop's serial (COM) port to translate

the data from the audio channel of your receiver, I made an RCA cable that

connects to the TNC and Receiver and decodes the packet bursts you still have to have a Tinytrak or MIM or BOB board to take the GPS strings and send them through the audio channel. I used to do alot of APRS (Automatic Position Reporting System) kind of a cheaper lojack system for hams.

The more expensive way is to get a radio modem like the one from GPSFlight.com

http://www.gpsflight.com/GPSF/products.htm

Hope this helps!

Yeah, that OSD-GPS board got me at first until

I realized the altitude was in meters not feet!!

Edited by KE4UVQ

Yes, you can use AGWPE and the sound card of your machine but I think VisualGPS needs a serial input, a COM port, not sure if it would work with AGWPE

(AGWPE is a packet engine program that simulates a TNC using your sound card)

You could use AGWPE with the WinAPRS program, it has maps and some telemetry

display.

Im using a KANTRONICS KPC-3+.

HELLO ALL,

I ALSO AM PLANNING TO USE VISUALGPS FOR MY GROUND STATION SETUP. PLEASE PROVIDE CONSTRUCTION DETAILS WITH REGARDS TO THE CABLE THAT YOU MADE TO CONNECT THE KANTRONICS KPS3 TO THE RX AUDIO OUT.

THANKS,

BERNARD :D

Ok, there are two wires in the RCA cable that connects to the Receiver's Audio output right - audio and ground, connect the audio wire to pin 5 of the 9 pin radio port of the KPC3, ground to pin 6. its the same as if you wanted to only receive audio from a mobile ham radio, the receiver substitutes as the radio, the diagram of the radio port is on page 257 of the KPC3 manual.

Ok, now make the VisualGPS COM port setting it listens to for data is whatever the KPC3 is connected to, basically the TNC is translating the audio from the receiver to the computer.

Hope this helps..

I PMed this to you too!

Mike

LVSPARK,

Im having problems with both of my KPC3s, cant get them

to recognize my initial baud rate setup, so I have gone to AGWPE,

works even better!

Guess Ill send them in...chaching!

Mike

B) For folks who are considering telemetry with actual detailed streaming data, APRS is *OK*, but nothing like real telemetry. APRS was just not designed for realtime streaming data. Using a GPS and dedicated data radio link like sold by www.gpsflight.com, you get some substantial improvements:

1. The airborne pacakge is less expensive, smaller, and MUCH lighter than a HT, TNC, cables, and GPS wired together.

2. The GPSFlight unit has longer range - 30 miles

3. The update rate for position information is as fast as 1/10th of a second

4. You don't need a HAM license, or to worry about bugging other HAM folks in the area with your crazy 1-5 second update rates!

5. You don't futz around making cables, etc.

I have flown APRS.. Interesting, but compared to sub-second update, and accuracy of barometric altitude vs GPS, the GPSFlight option is a totally different animal.

See the comparison GPSFlight posts.. http://www.gpsflight.com/GPSF/comparedetails.htm

Now, I *AM* biased.. I built GPSFlight after playing with APRS for years!!

Tom

KD7MKH

There is definitely no comparison of APRS vs. a radio modem! I have

seen a radio modem in action and its like a wireless serial port.

APRS/Tinytrak just wasnt designed for instant updating, Ive tried every

second on a Tinytrak, darn near couldnt reset it because it was transmitting

every second without taking a break to listen for a command!

Do you think people may be taking the APRS route because of cost?

The APRS setup requires time, patience and skill, how much is that

worth? :rolleyes:

The GPSflight stuff looks pretty good, and the price is reasonable.

I use AGWPE for simplicity and cost. I do not fly by instruments, so updates every 3 -5 seconds or so are fine for keeping track of my location and altitude.

A step up from agw would be to tie your gps ( or other ) to a maxstream set.

I think the GPS flight uses the maxstream equipment.

I contacted Maxstream a few days ago because I thought their board was just perfect.. In fact it really is but the price is unaffordable!