Sign in to follow this  
Flutter

Head tracking with Multiplex Royal Evo, possible?

Hi,

I am going to get a head tracking unit but for now I only have a Multiplex Royal Evo9 radio. It seems like the units I have found only operate with Futaba radios. Anyone knows if there are any units that work with Multiplex? I have to check this out before I swap my 6 months old radio for a new one..... ;)

Thanks!

Edited by Flutter

See this thread:

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php? showtopic=1642&hl=multiplex+evo+tracker

In a nutshell, Kilrah has noted problems with the RC-Tech head tracker, perhaps related to the Multiplex's rather individual RF output stages (I think it transmits single-sideband, or something like that - hence Multiplex transmitter crystals are half the transmitter frequency). Anyway, whatever the reason, he has had big problems and doesn't recommend it.

On the other hand, AnthonyRC sells a cheaper head tracker at Aeropix that works fine with my Multiplex Evo 9! Email him to see when there will next be some stock. He helpfully fitted mine with the right plug, worked out of the box. It also comes with a very useful 're-center' button that you can velcro to your transmitter.

However, caveat emptor: The Multiplex Txs only have trainer inputs for the first 5 channels. So you need to be a little clever to fit the 2 extra channels in, if you want to fly a 5-channel plane. This isn't a problem in the 'plane (you can assign any mix to any receiver channel), rather it's a hard-wired problem at the input side. (I have asked Multiplex if they can address this limitation of Multiplex transmitters, and after some discussion they told me they had no plans to!).

Perosonally I solved this by re-mapping 4 & 5 (throttle & flaps) onto some mixes of my own (= new aileron and new throttle mixes!), so I can use ch 4&5 inputs for the head tracker. At the output end I re-map my new controls to channels 1-5: aileron1, rudder, elev, throttle, aileron2, then 6&7 are pan & tilt. You can even have a throttle-cut switch still, so useful to avoid those chopped-off fingers!

I've flown this no troubles. Apart from the odd pilot error (Very odd pilot :P ).

If you want, I can send you the full instructions, but I have sent all this to Anthony; he may well send you them if you order an Aeropix tracker from him (very nice, very helpful man he is!)

(Oh, and: total sympathy!

I looked into solid-state head trackers for the first time just 9 months after buying my EVO. Overall, however, it was good to have bought such a flexible transmitter - programming so flexible it can even overcome it's own hardwired shortcomings!)

I already answered this via PM. The problems noted are mostly interference with the goggles, not the tracker. But when you have the tracker in the goggles' enclosure like most people, the trainer cable conducts the interference right next to the goggles' circuitry that goes nuts. The tracker iteslf is OK, but there's still the channel thing that is annoying.

Indeed, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) is the usual warning with most of this FPV kit. I've not had problems: I do nothing more sophisticated than just clipping the tracker to one of the arms of whatever VR goggles I'm using (Sony Glasstron, or Rvision).

Thanks for your replies guys!

I actually sold my Royal Evo9 now and have ordered the Futaba 9C. I love the Multiplex radio but in this case I have higher priority on making the headtracker work smoothly (also, it doesn't seems like Multiplex will release any 2,4GHz tx modules soon, as Futaba will. No, I will not use 2,4GHz when using my video equipment ;) )

No, I will not use 2,4GHz when using my video equipment ;) )

I nearly jumped on my keyboard before reading that :P;)