Daniel Wee

Some comparative camera tests

Daniel,

Can you please tell us what camera that is?

There are a few cameras here that appear to have the same or similar cases, but that doesn't necessarilly mean much.

Mark,

The Intelligent Flight CCD Camera has been customised for use with aircraft. The camera is small and light, allowing it to be mounted on small planes, or large.

Compared to other popular cameras, our camera does not exhibit the problems with switching between the ground and sky, nor does it have any problems looking at clouds and seeing the ground clearly. When using our camera, you will be able to see details in clouds while clearly making out trees in perfect brightness and colour on the ground.

As someone that compares products and evaluates their pros and cons on an almost daily basis I'm obviously going to ask you to substantiate the above. Throughout the years I've become somewhat allergic to marketing fluff. So can you give us a bit more detail? Is this significantly better than popular cameras like the KX-131 for example? And if so, why? :D

Cheers,

Sander.

Sander, I think the answer is in the quote you posted

Well, we'd need comparitive tests to substantiate those claims wouldn't we? :D

Just mount two of them on a plane, using different Tx channels, and fly around. That'll quickly tell you which is the better. I'd volunteer for the job if IF sends me a camera for eval, I'd be happy to bolt it on my plane next to a KX-131 and shoot some footage.

Cheers,

Sander.

I see, not so much more detail you want then Sander, comparitive tests are more what you are asking for. Independent testing would be nice too so maybe you will get the job. Your right about 12v too, it is a pain for our cameras.

Terry

12V a pain? If applied to your testikels perhaps? I'm sure the camera doesn't mind? Actually, running these off a 3S with a bit of LC filtering will probably work like a charm. I remember our honorable Mr Wee mentioning these cameras still keep churning out a respectable image at 9V, which is the low-voltage cutoff for 3S for most people anyway, so that would make these a prima candidate for 3S LiPos, no?

Cheers,

Sander.

That´s the problem. Light planes usually fly with 2s batteries, like the shocky I´m preparing for FPV. That´s the reason I was interested in this camera, but this rule it out :(

Yep, with 3s you have to dump so much more power it makes things very hot unless you use a switching supply but then you get all the filtering problems :(

I will stick with the 131 it keeps the whole set up simple.

Terry

Yah. But when you're running your entire setup on 2s...

Yeah, well, got a point there, what can I say, I'm partial to the KX-131 myself as well :unsure:

Cheers,

Sander.

Once our new 12v step up power supplies arrive, i'll be bundling them with cameras very cheaply so that people can run their cameras off 5v :)

We're working with the camera manufacturer to make the cameras 5v if possible.

While i'd love to do some comparative tests, currently the weather is too crappy for me to fly, and it's very overcast and dark outside (unheard of for this time of year...) so i cant even just point it out the window with a 131 to compare them. Once we get some nice bright sunlight and winds under 20km/h i'll compare them. You can look at the videos in this thread, and the photos in the mean time.

I remember our honorable Mr Wee mentioning these cameras still keep churning out a respectable image at 9V,

First of all ... nice touch on the honorable part, sounds like he just became a Kung Fu master now :D Err... maybe he truly is? :o Secondly... hey 12volts? That's what I'm using now for my KX151 so if this baby (I.F CAM) is tuned for our FPV needs, if I remember correctly fast AGC/WD (wide dynamic)/light weight, then this should be one rocking camera!!!! I'm going for it!!!! :D

Mark,

While i'd love to do some comparative tests, currently the weather is too crappy for me to fly, and it's very overcast and dark outside (unheard of for this time of year...) so i cant even just point it out the window with a 131 to compare them. Once we get some nice bright sunlight and winds under 20km/h i'll compare them. You can look at the videos in this thread, and the photos in the mean time.

You're in dire need of some marketing training /methinks, that's like the car salesman pointing to the brochure rather than handing you the keys for a testdrive, c'mon Mark, we all know shipping is expensive from down under, but I'm sure you can do better than this :D

Cheers,

Sander.

I'm looking forward to some side by side comparision videos once you can do it. I know the KX131 has a lot of good characteristics for FPV, but the super-high sharpening effect they apply in that camera drives me nuts. (dark lines around light colored objects, white lines around dark objects) It gives the perception of showing more detail, but it really isn't. It's like cranking the sharpness setting on your TV all the way up.

I was considering going with a KX151, but if this camera handles the lighting conditions better than it definitely will be my next camera.

I like the 12V input since I feed my video equipment with a 600mAh 3s lipo, and I have to step down to 5V for my KX131. Maybe you need to see if they can produce one that can handle 4-14V to cover everyone's needs! :D