Alastur

Vienna 1.0, audible telemetry and fpv navigator

Why don’t use the audio to send audible telemetry?

Vienna is the name of a project nearly finished that transforms all the telemetry in voice messages through the audio of our FPV transmitter, it switches between the engine sound of the microphone and voice messages with an auxiliary channel of the transmitter combined with a gear.

It is like a co-pilot or an onboard computer saying to us the flight instrumentation

All this tiny circuit is onboard the plane, you don’t need anything in the receiver neither FSK modems nor another special device, only the headphones of our goggles or a little amplifier and a speaker.

All the voice messages are selected from the auxiliary channel that plays/stops the messages combined with a gear to select 4 messages:

- The first message is the Altitude, the Ground speed and the Course of the plane.

- The second it is like a road navigator and it says for example “turn right 140 degrees” and the distance to a waypoint.

- In third if we loose the plane it says the latitude and the longitude of the plane to recover it.

- The last message is automatic and it says “careful, loose of radio signal” as soon as is activated the Fail Safe.

At this moment it has a GPS receiver connected to it, but in the future we could connect another devices. The essential of this device is transform the telemetry in voice messages to keep the screen clear to fly, in the future could be combined with an OSD and have audio messages and data on screen.

If you need technical info or any suggestions then let me know in this thread.

Excuse my poor English.

CRISTOBAL FERNANDEZ FERNANDEZ

NUEVO ALASTUR club member

www.alastur.com

Asturias (North of Spain)

post-8-1190917445_thumb.jpg

Edited by Alastur

It was talked about a while back but I have seen nothing until now. I seem to remember requesting a sexy voice to tell when my battery was running low. :rolleyes:

Terry

Hi Terry,

The sounds are stored in a mmc/sd card like .wav files , it has 56 files to compose all the numbers and the rest of the messages.

Edited by Alastur

Hi Alastur,

Can we hear them? Can you post the sound files here for us to listen to?

Terry

Yeah I want to hear that sexy voice telling me my batteries are always fully charged too! :o

Sexy female voice: "Your battery is so ... big and powerful!"

Will that work?

Daniel

There you go again Daniel. Talking about your big battery! :P

How about we all pitch in a send Daniel a year's supply of D-cells? That should make him happy, he sure does seem to have a battery fetish :D

Cheers,

Sander.

Alastur, Will you be publishing the source or hex file for DiY builders?

As a side note, I'm not sure that all receivers will work with the directly driven opto on the R/C signal. Some are severely current limited and cannot drive much current on the servo pulse signal.

How about we all pitch in a send Daniel a year's supply of D-cells? That should make him happy, he sure does seem to have a battery fetish :D

Cheers,

Sander.

Oh I can see Daniel getting his laugh now behind the monitor! :lol: I sometimes call him Big D, now maybe I should just call him D CELL! :P

Alastur, Will you be publishing the source or hex file for DiY builders?

Yes , Mr.RC-Cam, no problem with the .hex file if somebody needs it.

As a side note, I'm not sure that all receivers will work with the directly driven opto on the R/C signal

The opto1 only needs 8 ma from the signal pin, at this moment is working perfectly with a futaba pcm receiver but the opto also could be driven by a npn transistor like i think you are suggesting.

this is a little video that explains how it works, sorry, is in spanish, but you can hear perfectly the Vienna's voice.

Now i'm developing the messages in english too.

Excuse me my poor english.

Edited by Alastur

no problem with the .hex file if somebody needs it

That is generous. By chance does your project have a dedicated web page with all the technical info for DiY builders?

The opto1 only needs 8 ma from the signal pin, at this moment is working perfectly with a futaba pcm receiver but the opto also could be driven by a npn transistor like i think you are suggesting.

Some Rx servo outputs can't source 8mA, so there may be some installations that need the buffer transistor.

That is generous. By chance does your project have a dedicated web page with all the technical info for DiY builders?

At this moment i haven't a dedicated web to the technical info for Diy builders, but if somebody is interested i'll explain all the building details of "Vienna 1.0" and of "Real Engine"

Edited by Alastur

Alastur,

What is required to make the real engine unit only ?

I only want the engine noise when flying, no need for start up or anything else.

Terry

Hi Terry,

In essentials, the schematic is very similiar to Vienna 1.0 , the microcontroller, the r2r and the amplifier is the same, if you are really interested in building "Real Engine" , i'll provide you the schematic and the .hex file

Regards

Edited by Alastur