Phil_Turner_UK

1st Venture into Heli / Aero FPV

Pictures of UnoWot posted for info!

Maiden flights last week were awesome (Camera etc not fitted) - hopefully will fly with Camera this weekend.

Dragon OSD is on its way and is I planned for the incorporation during the build (I Hope!) it should be a relativly simple retrofit when it arrives. I'll post pictures / report later.

Phil T

post-8-1193998602_thumb.jpg

Hi Phil,

The UnoWot's looking good and the results will be great. My first aerial video experiments used a board camera mounted on the port wing in a sort of nacelle thingy and it worked a treat. Boy did that UnoWot get some use!

If you don't mind me saying, don't you think the colour scheme is just a little understated? I'm worried with such a low key scheme you might have trouble seeing it!

Alan B

Alan,

standard color scheme me! (well, to be honest it normally incorporates green but I ran out after recovering a WOT4) - I do like my Fluorescents!. I suppose it doesn't matter what it looks like - I'm looking out of it not at it - YES!!

Had a couple of flights with the camera today - good but not brilliant. Camera angle too high (again!). Just finished a mod (polystyrene wedge to increase height and lower angle) so hopefully will be perfect tomorrow.

I was expecting problems looking through the prop (obviously not an issue with the Twinstar) but absolutley fine - hardly noticable.

I really need to resolve the camcorder issue - as I would love to be capturing some video but so much to do - so little time!!

Phil T

Latest update!

Camera mod was fantastic (increased height / lower angle) - gives better ground perspective and far less susceptable to bright sky messing with agc etc.

I will now make a more permanant and streamlined bracket.

The extra weight of camera and battery was very noticable with the first landing being more of a firm arrival! - but soon got used to the different response / feel of the model etc.

As if this wasn't enough good news - I got the Camcorder working fine so managed to capture two flights - its almost surreal watching them. Any advice on the best way to upload them welcome.

Recieved confirmation from Mark (Harris) that the OSD should be here 7 - 10 days so I guess that will be the next major milestone retofitting it etc etc and will post pictures / report as soon as possible.

This is way too much fun to handle

Phil T

Alan,

there appeared to be no impact on the other guy's 2.4 Plane which is re-assuring as more people are going 2.4 and I didn't want to find myself alienated when I wanted to fly.

However - as I said - there was a marked degradation in the video quality which makes sense given his Tx is about 1M from my Rx - so solo spots my be the order of the day for me.

Finally received the Dragon OSD which took a bit of plumbing in as you can see. Flew once last week but forgot the camcorder AV In lead so couldn't record anything. The system is excellent with a lot of information to be distracted with!!

I do need to calibrate the MAh function - whilst this was one of the most important features in picking the Dragon - I must confess that the landing was a bit hurried as the ESC went into LiPo friendly mode but the MAh reading showed only about half of the expected Pack capacity - I was obviously having way too much fun.

The idea is to tweek a constant in the Menu until actual / predicted matches - so I'll get it calibrated over future flights.

Hopefully will post some video next time!!

Phil T

post-8-1196418387_thumb.jpg

Looking good Phil,

I see you have a neck for paying attention to the smaller details, resulting in a very clean look and build, excellent, I can't stand sloppy building tbh B)

Cheers,

Sander.