Sign in to follow this  
Flutter

KX-141+Panasonic NV-GS400=red/green lines

I am currently setting up a KX-141 cam, BWAV 500mW TX and RX. I use a Panasonic NV-GS400 for recording and my challenge is to get rid of the red/green lines that appear on the cam-monitor. These do not show up when using the television. Also, using the same RX but a smaller 10mW cam/tx the picture is nice on the Panasonic.

I have read about these issues when matching KX-131 with the NV-GS400 and but not about any solutions yet.

Anyone have any suggestions how to overcome the red/green lines? I would rather swap the KX-141 than the NV-GS400 (due to cost... :) )

Nope, known problem of the NV-GS400 and actually also quite a number of other Panasonic camcorders, even Pro ones (ask Daniel).

It does the same with the KX131, wasn't aware of it with KX141 (I might simply never have tried).

We both changed camcorder after a number of unsuccesful tweaking attempts.

It's not so much the camera but the RX and the Camcorder combo. Something happens to the RG colorburst signal during transmission/reception that puts it outside of the Panasonic analogue converter's band so that it misinterpret's that line. Occasionally it recognizes it but more often than not it doesn't. The consequence of this is that you get a bunch of red lines but a bluish-green hue on the video itself. The goggles does not seem to be as picky and has no problems displaying the picture correctly though.

Even if you get another camera, there's a high chance that it will still exhibit this problem. For example, if you take your current camera, the KX-141, and plug it directly into the Panasonic, you should see that there are no problems at all with the camera nor the recording.

So, short of restoring the color burst, I'm afraid that the best way is to get a new camcorder, preferably one that is SONY or Canon. JVC and Panasonic are related so I stay clear of those. This is what I ended up doing and I can tell you the relief at finally getting decent colors in my recordings. If you're thinking of getting a new camcorder, the following link has a decent list that you can use as a reference (see column that says A/V Input). Make sure you don't get a DVD or Hi-8/Digital-8 camcorder though:-

Camcorder with A/V Input Reference

Hope this helps.

Daniel

Edited by Daniel Wee

With the GS400 the RF link didn't have an effect. Plugging the cam directly into the AV in would do the same. Also, I didn't have a complete hue shift like you, only red/green lines over an otherwise correct image.

I also switched the rx and the same lines appeared. I will try another cam tonight and see if this makes a difference. To bad if Panasonic is incompatible with Panasonic :( .

By the way, there was a resistor included with my KX141 but I have found no instructions for this cam. Anybody knows where I should use it?

It's an inductor, that should be put in series with the 5V power supply. It removes the brighter line that can appear on the left edge picture sometimes.

Anyone tried ARCHOS PMP AV700 Mobile Digital Video Recorder? Maybe this could be an alternative when replacing my NV-GS400.

You won't get quality anywhere as good as miniDV with it. Presently, the best available recorder is still the miniDV camcorder. If quality isn't that important to you, then perhaps some of the other mediums could be considered.

Daniel

Quality is important... If it wasn't I could replace the KX141 for a "cheaper" model and that way I could use the Pansonic cam.

Actually, I will look for another brand of CCD 1/3" cam. It makes more sense to me swapping the small cam causing the trouble than replacing the camcorder (since I only can find a/v inputs on the more expensive models of camcorders).

Well, in my case at least - I swapped 3 different cameras, and 2 sets of the Lawmate receivers (in case one of them was faulty), 2 different 500mW transmitters, and 1 200mW transmitter. In the end, I bought a SONY Handycam. Just so you're prepared, though you may be luckier than I am with camera choices.

Daniel