Sign in to follow this  
Kilrah

Overlay

Hi,

I was wondering how you had done your arrow/temp display on the TaylorCraft. Are you putting a second overlay module in series with the TL100? Which type?

Thanks,

Kilrah

Somebody on this forum suggested to use video overlay/genlock boards to superimpose computer screen on video stream. Was it Mike?

Anyway, the arrow and the temp is done using one of this boxes. I don't remember the model from top of my head - need to look it up when I am back in my basement.

Regards,

Val.

Oh did you pick one up?

Works pretty well don't you think.

What would be nice though would be to make a remote control foot switch for it.

Would be easy, but it's one of those projects I probably will never do. ;-)

P.S. Ground station software in Java is coming along quite well.

I should have something by March that I can put up somewhere

Ok, so it's computer-based. I wanted to know as I've ordered my new laptop, and I've of course chosen one that has an integrated video capture device / TV tuner.

I was planning to use the video in to display the video, overlay graphical data on it (HUD) and then connecting the Glasstron to the TV out... But I was curious to know if there was something simpler.

What I'm now hoping is that the capture hardware will not cause the delay problemns related with USB devices. But I'm optimistic about that, as it uses the same system I had tested with a PCI card, and there had been no problem. As the video was displayed as an overlay it was still running even if the PC had completely hanged.

What I'm now hoping is that the capture hardware will not cause the delay problems related with USB devices.

Please let us know if this is the case. I was alway wary of relying on laptop be a critical part of video downlink - possibly because reboot time of my laptop is so long :)

Edited by cyber-flyer

I could easily make an arrow as part of my video overlay system I am building. It wouldn't turn like the one val is using, I would probably end up with arrows of varying lengths on the top line of the video screen with the distance to waypoint at the top of the screen. Say you need to make a hard turn to left and waypoint is 2 km away. " <-----------2.0 " and if you only need to make a gentle turn to the left it would be " <---2.0 " and so on.

I cannot do graphics onboard the airplane but I can do text based stuff as mentioned above.

Matt

Please let us know if this is the case. I was alway wary of relying on laptop be a critical part of video downlink - possibly because reboot time of my laptop is so long 

No problem :)

Together with using the laptop as a display device I'm also preparing something that is not PC-dependent as a second display for security reasons..

I cannot do graphics onboard the airplane but I can do text based stuff as mentioned above.

I guess you are using a STV5730A-based board. This would be my secondary backup device.

I am using a bob3 board for my setup. Now I can also transmit all of the GPS data down to the ground at 4800-9600 every second and use that to make a computer display on the ground and not do anything grapic overlay wise in the airplane. Therefore you would have clean video with no text coming from the airplane but still get all your GPS data for moving maps, etc...

Matt

Say you need to make a hard turn to left and waypoint is 2 km away. " <-----------2.0 " and if you only need to make a gentle turn to the left it would be " <---2.0 "

Good idea!

The next step is to figure out how to display artificial horizon with text only overlay.

Going back to model of the video overlay box: I use Coriogen Eclipse.

Regards,

Val.

Going back to model of the video overlay box: I use Coriogen Eclipse.

Thanks, will look for info :)

Yes, I also prefer ground-based overlay as the video is clean.

Does someone know if faster modems can be found (56kbps if possible)?

Coriogen Eclipse.

Argh! $695!! :blink:

I think I will hope very strongly and try with my laptop at first... Maybe if it really doesn't work and I don't find another solution...

Edited by Kilrah

Look, this may be good! w w w. m i c r o h a r d c o r p . c o m

Whoa! I think I'll reconsider my choice of using felsweb modules!!

115kbps / 1W / -108dBm sensitivity..... and bidirectional! And in 2.4G! Configurable output power!

Just perfect! Even the size is quite reasonable..

Now the issue must surely be the price :(

Thanks for the info!

Hmm... <_< That's what I was waiting for... $685/pc :(

Always the same.. Finally my first idea was not so bad.. :unsure:

Please let us know if this is the case. I was alway wary of relying on laptop be a critical part of video downlink - possibly because reboot time of my laptop is so long :)

Oops sorry had forgotten this one..

I've received my laptop around 6 weeks ago now, and have thoroughly tested that tuner... So here is what I think about it:

:(

- Even if the device is internal, it's connected via USB2 :angry:

So that *ç%&#@ 100-200ms delay is present. No problem for recording, but for FPV flying it would need a VERY stable model that is predictable, and no fast movements... just forget it.

- The part of the laptop's case where it sits is always hot, so it must mean that it drains the battery quite a lot even when unused.

- My PC is a P4, so battery life is limited to around 1h15 when recording, and as the power supply is a 120W one I haven't found a suitable 12V adapter yet.

- The video input is a S-Video one, which means I need a composite -> S-Video adapter, that represents a considerable loss of quality (especially on the colors / sharpness).

:)

- Ease of use! Simply plug the receiver and click the record button, and everything is on the hard disk. No need to transfer from a DV cam through FireWire.

- The 17'' TFT is nice to view live video, even if it's not extremely bright when outside.

- It's VERY easy to do a custom overlay! I've found an easy way to do one using the so-called "off-black" color, which is transparent to a video overlay done by the graphics card, but not to the rest. That means that if you have a video playing, and display a form of this color over it, the video will show even if there are windows in between, and the rest of the screen will be black (in fact very dark brown). With 10 lines of Visual Basic you can overlay a custom fixed text, and with little more you could update that text with data that comes through the serial port.. B)

Overlaying graphics (line-based HUD), or even bitmaps (I've started extracting the instruments from a FS2004 cockpit for my future telemetry system) is the same.

- The generated overlay can then be sent to video glasses through the TV-Out plug (no delay here) :)

So it's not yet the top.

But inbetween I came across a PCMCIA video capture card, which is much nicer as it could then be used with any laptop, including long battery life Centrinos, and hopefully there is no delay with this one... There is this time a composite input in addition to the S one, and the card does the MPEG-2 compression by hardware. So it saves CPU time (and so battery life), and must have a better compression quality than my TV tuner's software..

The card is a "Terratec VideoSystem Cameo 400 AV mobile PC-Card", and I've ordered one 2 weeks ago. Not received yet, but I'll post the results of the tests.

The good thing with this is that I'll be able to record 2 simultaneous video streams :)

I really like the approach of using the PC for the points mentioned above, especially as my dream would be to have a FS-like virtual cockpit, but instead of a virtual 747 and ugly pixels on the ground to have a real plane that would fly above me and live video as seen from its cockpit.

Of course, even if the PC is useful it's not to be considered as reliable, so a totally independent secondary video and data display is in the list of needed equipment.

Regards,

Kilrah