Mark Harris

EB-85A Firmware updating

Hello Everyone,

We've finally convinced ETek to allow us to send in old EB-85A's to get their firmware updated. We're wanting to get as many as possible to cut down on the postage cost per person to and from ETek.

You'll be without your GPS unit for approx 1-1.5 months i'm afraid. This is due to ~5 days to get to me, then ~5 days to get back to you... with 2 days to and from ETek. (all business days.. not including weekends) plus the time it takes for them to do the updates.

We're only going to charge you the cost of postage and the stuff used in packaging.

Costs:

* Postage back to you: US$15 (up to about 15GPS units)

* Postage to/from ETek: US$12 + $2 per additional unit (your share in a DHL express parcel)

* Firmware update: Free :)

Please PM me for the address to return the unit to.

Edited by Mark Harris

Also, your GPS unit *must* be in perfect working condition. If it does not work it will simply be thrown out and your money refunded. Please don't waste our time with dead units :)

Hi Mark, hi @ all,

I'm currently thinking about buying one of those EB-85As and I have some questions about the firmware issue:

- Why do you want to upgrade your firmware? I know that there was some kind of problem in the old firmware, but what exactly was it? I couldn't find any informations about this in the forums.

- What is the Rev. of the latest Firmware?

- Let's say I bought a module at XYZ - is there a way to determin, on which firmware the module is currenly running?

Thanks and Regards,

cpt_kangaroo

If you look through the IFOSD thread you'll see Thomas complaining baout the GPS. What happens is, if you change directions too fast or dive too fast the GPS would spit the dummy and start to either lag 10 or so seconds behind, or just give up and give you random location/speed haha.

The GPS Software for the EB-85A will tell you the firmware revision. I don't have a EB-85A that i can hook up the the PC conveniently at the moment so i can't tell you what revision is the absolute latest.

Probably not an issue for anyone, but it looks like some of the early EB-85A firmware had a default of 4800 baud. New firmware update give you a default of 38400 baud. It still says default baud is 4800 in the manual.

Great little GPS though. I get a super quick lock inside my house (warm boot wise).

We can actually specify the default baud and init strings when when order from etek.. people are just ordering 38400 as their baud rate :)

And apparently according to some MTK manual it would be possible to change the defaults with a command, a limited number of times. Never tried though.

The latest firmware allows the user to change the powerup defaults using the PC app. As Kilrah mentioned, you can only do this a half dozen times before the feature is disabled.