GregO

Hobby Zone X-Port

I just bought my 1st R/C plane. It's a Hobby Zone Fighterbird (a friend has one and I'm looking forward to the dogfighting.)

Anyway, I was thinking of trying the whole aerial photography thing also.

Does anyone know the details on the X-port specs? I'd like to use the X-port to trigger the camera.

Also, has anyone else thought of unusual uses for the X-port?

Without an elevator I would be leery of strapping a camera to the firebird.

Strapping extra bits on the outside of an airplane tends to change it's aerodymanics in ways that can require some unanticipated trim changes. I ended up buying a T-hawk (very similar to the firebird) because it was elevator/rudder controlled. I'm only flying wireless video right now, but I suspect it could carry one of the very light digital cameras.

Right click and save video (5 megs!)

thawkcam9.jpg

I was thinking that if the camera was small/light enough, it wouldn't do anything worse for flight characteristics than the Sonic Combat Module, which the plane was designed to carry.

You are probably right.

Did you have a camera in mind? The Aiptek camera is pretty small but I don't know if it is as small as the sonic module. I bet there are smaller cameras out there, but you'll have to decide if the decrease in image quality is acceptable.

Sorry I can't offer any specific advice on triggering the camera from the x-port.

Regards,

Bill