Bushman

Video and stills from the same camera?

Hey guys, I just ordered a FPV setup with a Easystar, 900Mhz vid transmitter, and some other goodies.

I got a KX131 camera to go with it, but I would really like to be able to take decent quality stills as well. 3.1 mega pixels would be satisfactory. ]

There are two problems I would like to solve.

First, I don't want the weight of both devices(video and still) on the aircraft.

Second, I would like to know exactly what I'm taking snapshots of.

If I mount the video and the still camera pointing in the same direction I can have a general idea of what my stills will capture, but I'm interested in a pan tilt setup and it may be somewhat cumbersome to pan/tilt both camera's at the same time.

The ideal solution in my mind is a still camera that is capable of putting out NTSC video over composit cables just like the KX131 can, but also of snapping stills on command and storing them on a SD card or the like.

I know the CMUcam (http://www.cmucam.org/) is capable of this, but both video and still quality are crud.

Poor video quality I can live with because I'm simply using it to fly the aircraft and get it in position for a good photo, but the still capability must be decent.

Any ideas?

Yes, goes to black for about 1 second. The output has a slight delay too, so you wouldn't want to have only this to fly FPV. I have both a video camera and the still one connected to the transmitter through a remote-controlled switch, and just activate the still one to frame and shoot before returning to the video cam. In flight it's not a problem, but in more critical phases it can be annoying to have that ~300ms lag.

If the video out is used only by the camera operator and not the pilot, no need for the video cam.

i've been looking at this camera

Canon PowerShot TX1 Digital Camera - 7.1MP

at 220 grams it will take a movie at 30 fps

and a still shot of 7mp at the same time

worth a look

I'd check in-shop (before buying) that it can provide video out at the same time as recording - you may find it can't do both, especially if you're wanting PAL output. You'll also be able to check the 'time to return to video' Kilrah mentions.