quadcam

FPV on quadrotor helicopters?

Hi all,

I have a X-3d quadrotor helicopter, similar to the dragonfly SAVS. i've seen all the cool FPV videos on this forum, and was trying to do something similar onboard a helicopter. However, it seems like I can never get good enough perception of the environment through the camera to be able to hover the helicopter.

Hence, is hovering a helicopter via FPV simply impossible because of the high update rates necessary, or do I just need more practice? If so, what's the best orientation of the camera relative to the ground, assuming the the helicopter in general stays pretty level? Is there anyone out there with videos of helicopter FPV flight?

thanks!

~quadcam

I think it is possible but difficult. Someone did FPV on a single rotor helicopter so if he can do it im sure you probably could. IMHO using a draganfly quad rotor helicopter would be the best route since it has an on-board stability system. Search the forum for the FPV heli.

Hence, is hovering a helicopter via FPV simply impossible because of the high update rates necessary, or do I just need more practice?

The earliest FPV R/C heli flyer that I know of was "HobbyBoy" (Bob). He was FPV flying several years ago (perhaps as early as 1999). Although he was quiet about his success, he had shared a couple videos back in the day when everyone said it was impossible. He piloted from the living room of his house, using a wide screen TV, as well as from a pair of IO glasses he used while inside a tent that was set up at the field. This was all done with early technology wireless video gear (back when stuff was more expensive, bigger, and generally less refined than what we use today). He did not use any electronic stability systems either, the heli was controlled all by his skills.

I recall that he was a commercial pilot and had a tremendous amount of experience flying from the cockpit. Even so, he had spent a considerable amount of time practicing. He has not posted in our forum for several years, so I don't know what happened to him. I consider HobbyBoy one of the pioneers of R/C FPV.

Since then, others have been doing this. Cyber-Flyer and Kilrah come to mind.

There's Crash9 on RCGroups too.

Anyway, I've indeed done some FPV now with both heli and quadro.

Here's some info about the heli thing, which you'll see drifted a bit into the quadros, when I got some interest for those weird things: http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?show...wtopic=2232&hl=

I've also made a video with my first heli FPV flights that somehow seems not to have made its way into a thread on here yet:

Check this for more quadrirotor talk, including me FPVing mine lately:

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?show...wtopic=1952&hl=

I have about 1h of FPV on it, with video, just need time to edit it.

There's a bit of reading to get you started on the topic ;)

Edited by Kilrah