I am the president of a group at the University of South Florida. We are flying a high altitude balloon and its going to carry a video package. We decided that a 400mhz ham radio band video transmitter is best for the range. We also plan to use a large yagi antenna on the ground. Any thoughts on the project are much appreciated. It is R/C because there will hopefully be a datalink to and from the balloon (low bandwidth).

Joe R.

X-Labs

www.xlabs-usf.com

We decided that a 400mhz ham radio band video transmitter is best for the range.

If you haven't acquired the A/V gear yet, I would recommend using 900Mhz. It will be FM (versus the 400Mhz's AM) and the Rx sensitivity is often better. Overall, I think you will find that the theoretical advantage does not always hold up to the real life advantage.

I have been considering doing a high altitude balloon launch as well. Perhaps we could get together to discuss? Where do you intend to launch from? One idea I had was to use an RC airplane as the payload to 'return to launch' the AV equipment rather then hunting down a cooler in the Atlantic.

-dave (in Miami fl)

ya just bad luck the links dont work anymore

I just happen to own 3 pcs 1.5cubic meter weatherstation ballons and unlimited access to free pure helium, it will happen here also one day,

only problem is it is soo illegal to launch stuff that hi.