Sign in to follow this  
dalbert02

EM406 GPS --> TT3

I was curious if a EM406 GPS can be connected directly to a TT3. I assume it could be, but then I was curious when I saw the GPS break out board on SparkFun. Besides providing an easier connection to the GPS signals and power, I could not really tell what the break out board does. However, I did see additional circuitry on the board.(?) My EM406 GPS is from an old Inspire OSD that now uses a Garmin Geko 201. Thanks.

-dave

<edit> I am assuming no, since the TT3 wants serial RS-232 and the GPS puts out TTL. If I am correct, does anyone know of a cheap and very small TTL to serial converter?

Edited by dalbert02

For the TT3, I believe that all you have to do is invert the output of the EM-406. That just takes a transistor and a couple of resistors.

I can send you a very small TTL to RS232 board for $20 (includes postage). Its pretty much just a MAX232 with the caps around it, it's what we use in our serial converter cables.

19mm x 13.5mm. I'd get a photo but i kinda killed my camera, and am waiting for the new ones to arrive :(

$20 is so very close cost price :)

Oh yes, and Mr RC Cam, please don't get upset at me about posting a product offering in here :) at $20 with postage, paypal fees, packaging i actually loose $0.06 if i calculate it right, so i'm not offering it for profit!

Or you could just bypass the TT3 level converter, and connect the GPS's TX line directly to the PIC's UART RX pin?

...you could just bypass the TT3 level converter, and connect the GPS's TX line directly to the PIC's UART RX pin?

The TT3 will need to see inverted TTL since it does not utilize a level converter. I am convinced it can be solved with a transistor -- no need for a MAX232 board. This is what I have in mind (resistor values best guesses):

post-6-1196012504_thumb.jpg