Sign in to follow this  
corosplat

Antenna for 868MHz

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas for an antenna on the airborne side of a UAV project to connect to an Aerocomm AC4868-250 radio modem module (mmcx antenna connector). It would be nice to get a commercial unit, but the ones I have found so far are a bit large and clumsy for integration in a small UAV. Home-brew copper foil/coax projects are also of some interest.

/Steve

I suggest trying a simple 1/2 wave dipole (simple to make). If your model can accommodate a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna (www.northcountryradio.com/Articles/groundplane.htm) then that should offer a tiny bit more performance. Beyond that, a cross-dipole design (http://www.aricraft.com/spiro.html) would be very nice, but they can be difficult to get right.

Generally speaking, antennas with PCB dielectrics have lower possible gain. They are usually more compact though.

Just to clarify.. when you say simple half-wave dipole, you mean like the one in the RC-CAM4 project? Made from coax stripped to the right length with the shield folded back. At 868MHz the elements would be about 8.2cm long for a total length over 16cm right? Does it matter how much "extra" coax I have besides the antenna element itself or is that a trial and error thing.

Also as for mounting in the plane, I guess it would be best to have it pointing down, but given the length, would it be OK to lay it flat, or at least angle it back?

thanks,

The coaxial design on RC-CAM might work out for you, but I was actually referring to a classic dipole. These are constructed with two 1/4 wave (82.9mm) elements that are center-fed. If you need to see drawings, I suspect that you will find endless info on the web.

Generally speaking, Tx antenna orientation depends on the orientation of your ground based Rx antenna.