Sign in to follow this  
Wavess

Clean Switching Reg

Hi all, this topic has been discussed in lots of other posts but I don´t get any clear answer about it.

I´ve been using esc/bec´s with linear becs up to 3A (that´s what manufacter states I doubt) with success for now but now I need to find a nice power supply for my next project.

This is going to be a 4S or 5S powered plane with a 60A. The ESC/BEC that I have for this purpose uses 3A switching bec, that I want to skip.

So my needs are a clean switching supply that could handle inputs for 4S and 5S lipos to supply my r/c receiver.

There is also another switching DC that I would like to now how to build it. I plan on using a 12V ccd camera but a 5V 2.4ghz TX, so it would be interesting to know how you guys are handling this 12V to step down to 5V with clean switching reg.

Castles new 10 amp BEC can be used to power the 5v devices. For your 12v equipement the Dimension Engineering AnyVolt works well. More caps on the legs can't hurt.

-dave

Great interesting product the castle one. Is it filtered ok?

What I don´t really like is the AnyVolt, I have one already and is noisy. Only with caps you´ll not get rid of noise.

Only with caps you´ll not get rid of noise.

I happen to have these switching supplies too. What do you suggest instead of or in addition to a capacitor?

Dimitris

the anyvolt type have NO series coils and no extra filterings !

I tried them with a 12V video cam and had noise stribes,

with my own designed PSU's the stribes are gone.

for a noise and trouble free 5V step down see this:

http://www.intelligentflight.com/store/ind...&products_id=22

it can be modified for other output voltage if needed.

Edited by ThomasScherrer

Thomas,

I am using my own simple linear regulator right now to power a 3.3V transmitter from a 2S lipo pack. Needless to say with such a big voltage dropdown it gets pretty warm. It's stable and relatively noise free but it's not an elegant solution wasting so much energy for nothing.

Do you think that dropping down the voltage from 7.4 to 4V with the AnyVolt switching power supply and then using the Intelligentflight's regulator in line for a final step reduction from 4 to 3.3V would eliminate the noise?

Essentialy taking advantage of the Intelligentflight's more advanced filtering components

Dimitris

PS Have alook here : https://www.futurehobbies.com/items.asp?id=16 this guy sells power supplies from Dimension Engineering ready made with harnesses to connect with his cameras and Tx. How does he do it? Are they modified in any way?

Edited by Dimitris76

sorry for the slow reply, have been ultra busy for awhile,

I can inform you that IF have just designed a much smarter and ultra tiny powersupply,

it is extra filtered on all ports as usual for IF products designed to work with critical video equipment,

its size is only 20x20x9mm, and from 3-18V input it gives you both 5V and 12V regulated at the SAME time,

and it can handle cams, tx, gps, osd at the same time,

I have no info about when we will see it in the shops, I think it is Mark that will reveal this secret :-)

PS: the most common noise problem people have is not the supply lines,

but ground common return wires sharing ripple currents, intelligent wiring and series coil and capacitor the right place will solve it,

but you need to know exactly where the AC current flow, you see the video ground path, must be absolutly free from the current path,

no video gnd wired can share power line return, and this is the hard part to see and to solve :-)