Sign in to follow this  
Dimitris76

5.8 Ghz experience

Hi!

I am using Airwave's 2.4 Ghz TX @ 500mW for quite some time now with pretty good results, but recently (the last couple of years actually) I am experiencing ever increasing range problems.

I get dropouts under the exact same conditions and either my equipment is getting old (which I don't think so - do electronics get worn down?) or - and most propably - it's due to the booming WiFi use.

I am also looking into investing into these new 2.4Ghz Spread Spectrum remote control systems so I am wondering if I should move to the 5.8 GHz ISM band for my video downlink and kill two birds with one stone!

1. Does anybody of you have experience with 5.8Ghz video equipment?

2. Are they compatible with the 2.4ghz controls? The frequency difference is great but I have read on some threads that 900Mhz video system can cause glitches to 2.4ghz remotes due to harmonics.

3. Do they tolerate minimal obstacles between tx and rx (to the extent that 2.4 band does) or do they need a 100% clear line of sight? Is it practically going to be a problem?

4. Is there any interference in you area - and if yes did you find out where is it coming from?

5. Am I going to have more range with just 100mW @ 5.8Ghz in comparison to 500mW @ 2.4Ghz (considering that this band is the less "poluted")?

Thank you for your answers!

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris76

3) The higher the frequency, the more sensitive to obstacles it is.

4) There are quite a few 5.8GHz cordless phones now, something to keep in mind.

5)No, the higher the frequency the shorter the range with the same power. Of course, if you incluse interference factor it's pretty unpredictable (how bad is the interference?).

someone have to invest in this and make real flight compare tests

it might as well be you :-)

but can you get SAME output power ? 500mW is alot..

can you verify the TX power is actually correct ?

and can you verify the receiver sensitivity is actually good ?

if not your comparings will be worthless.

I have seen TX modules with much different power differs from the specifications,

this apply to some brands, maybe they think the customers can not check the figures !

but I can, I have the test gear available here, and I will be happy to bench test it for you all, with calibrated lab equipment I have from 0-22GHz.

but I will not invest in the purchase of the RX TX modules, so I need a sponsor :-)

I didn't even think about these new DECT phones! They don't give us a break nowdays...

Anyway, considering the lack of general experience and the less forgiving nature of the 5.8Ghz band when it comes to antenna construction, connector crimping techniques, etc I might have to wait a few years more. :-(

Better start looking now for other solutions. I have already built a servo based antenna rotor and looking for a way to aim it to the heli. By the way, does anybody have a software that listens to TinyTrak sentences in order to control a servo driver?

Dimitris

Edited by Dimitris76