Alastur

Robin 1.0 Build Your Own "return Home" System

This project is developed around the idea of using cheap and tiny servos of 5 grams or less like real flight on board instruments.

In this case the instrument i've developed is a "Return Home" instrument, i think all the telemetry is important, but the orientation to return home is the most important. It works like a real NDB, you need align vertically the arrow(the arm of the servo) to go in the correct direction.

It is a very simple circuit with few components , designed to everybody can build it.

It uses a microcontroller 18f252-i/sp , a xtal to 10 Mhz and a pair of resistors and diodes, an em-411 gps and a tiny servo like the tower pro sg-50 or similar.

The circuit is completely isolated of the transmitter, camera, mic and the rest of fpv components, you only need install it in the field of view of the camera like a real instrument and supply it with 5v.

There are a lot of diferent variations of installing the servo , you can use only the servo arm like a simple arrow with a wire, etc...

i can supply the .hex file to anybody interested in build this return home system

This is a Robin's video:

Regards

Cristóbal Fernández Fernández

www.alastur.com

post-3350-1198088607_thumb.jpg

post-3350-1198088804_thumb.jpg

post-3350-1198088857_thumb.jpg

post-3350-1198088928_thumb.jpg

post-3350-1198089216_thumb.jpg

That is a very cool gauge. There seems to be some FPVers that don't like OSD's, but want a home arrow feature. So the project would be a nice solution. The 5-Hz EB-85A GPS would be ideal for it too, since the faster updates should help smooth out the meter's needle movements.

Very inventive, congrats! If you redo the PCB with SMD components I'm sure it can made small enough to be sandwiched with the GPS receiver making for a very compact and light module.

Cheers,

Sander.

That is a very cool gauge. There seems to be some FPVers that don't like OSD's, but want a home arrow feature. So the project would be a nice solution. The 5-Hz EB-85A GPS would be ideal for it too, since the faster updates should help smooth out the meter's needle movements.

Hi Thomas,

i'm very agree with you, although the project is developed around the idea of a low cost system to return home, in the future i'll improve the system with a 5 Hz GPS module to faster updates in the servo arm and a push botton to archive the home point in the eeprom of the microcontroller to avoid loose this point if the microcontroller restarts in flight.

Regards and Happy Christmas to all the forum from Spain.

Cristobal Fernandez Fernandez

www.alastur.com