Sign in to follow this  
kbosak

Patch Antenna - What Materials Are Best (copper - Nylon, Etc)

Hi,

I have several GP patch antennas scaled to 1170MHz (1.2GHz) band. They are roughly twice the size of 2.4GHz antennas and must be custom made because 1.2GHz is not very common on the consumer market.

Now when tin covered steel plates used to cover roofs that I had in stock are depleted, I want to buy a new one.

What is the best choice of materials among of what I can get in construction shops:

- 1mm alu plate and 0.5mm oxidized steel plate for small box plate

- both made of tin covered steel

- both alu

- both oxidized steel

- both copper! copper as a good conductor, may bend easily but let's suppose we will handle it gently, unfortunately it can oxidize easily. from what I understand from discussion on painting the antennas, silver covered copper should be second next after pure gold plate ;-)

But maybe try copper plate sprayed with automobile paint containing alu dust?

I have no means of measuring it so I am not 'experimenting', I want your advice.

Secondly, what should we use as spacers?

I used to use pine wood with 15min epoxy.

Using nylon screws is out for 2.4GHz because of the hole size (might affect parameters?).

So maybe glued nylon spacers.

BTW why ppl tend to use nylon in some professional grade antennas?

Edited by kbosak

why ppl tend to use nylon in some professional grade antennas?

Nylon is cheap, durable, and has decent dielectric properties. But I suspect that you will find Teflon in the highest quality (most expensive) microwave antennas; It has a lower dielectric constant and water tends to not stick to it as well.

Secondly, what should we use as spacers?

Dry wood has a dielectric constant similar to Teflon (but Teflon has lower loss). The suggested wood spacers work very well in the GP Patch.