JMS

Show Us Your Fpv Platform!

Well I guess I will be the first to post on this new thread dedicated to FPV. I would like to start by showing my FPV platform, hopefully others can see and perhaps use my example or better yet, make it better!!! My plane is a Multiplex Easystar, the camera is a KX151, the motor is a Hyperion, the ESC Hyperion Titan 20, the prop is a 7X4, the A/V TX and RX is Airwave but not shown is the Lawmate 500mW I also use. I have installed ailerons and extended my rudder for improved control since stock is not very aggressive enough for me. The camera pan servo is a Hitec HS81 with the stop notch removed and 1K 1/8watt resistors soldered to the POT leads for 180' spin radius. The radio is a Futaba T9CAP.

Here is a sample video of this in action: http://www.vimeo.com/448699

JMS

post-2240-1198478557_thumb.jpg

post-2240-1198478616_thumb.jpg

post-2240-1198478671_thumb.jpg

post-2240-1198478685_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMS

Hey John. Vimeo says that video is protected. We can't view it.

Thanks TTS! It's fixed now! :D

well, it's nothing special, but it's another world

The boat ( british Xcraft) is not mine but I just bought an ATC-2K watertight cam then, and we strapped it on)

Edited by raalst

well, it's nothing special, but it's another world

The boat ( british Xcraft) is not mine but I just bought an ATC-2K watertight cam then, and we strapped it on)

Actually that was a very cool project!!! A few tried to FPV in a sub and went for deep water but that wasn't easy because water always reduces the radio signal :(

Here's mine :) . The TwinStar has 2 cameras and 900mhz, 2.4ghz wireless gear.

post-2769-1199136214_thumb.jpg

post-2769-1199136363_thumb.jpg

post-2769-1199136512_thumb.jpg

post-2769-1199136791_thumb.jpg

Edited by Crash9

Hi!

my easystar mod:

easystar3.JPG

2x speed 400 @ 8cell NIMH 1400mAh (old camera setup)

easystar4.JPG

This is the new camera-setup:

a cheap camera and a homemade transmitter 50mW (measured!) output power.

FPV1.JPG

FPV2.JPG

1.1GHz_TX.JPG

greets from Belgium, Sjors

Hi!

my easystar mod: ..............

greets from Belgium, Sjors

Very interesting set up Sjors and welcome to RC-CAM!!!

Have you had good success flying her yet? I like the twin prop idea and if they were brushless, I'm sure it will go vertical with a flick of the stick! :D Anyhow you don't experience any video interference with the brushed motors? Reason I asked is I had a terrible time with my Twins star... and stock brushed speed 400. ;)

Oh one more thing... how do you like the ailerons with just the foam and no balsa support? Do you get the accurate response you like?

Edited by JMS

I started flying with the stock easystar about 1 year ago. After a few months I got board and didn’t like the steering, the plane dropped when moving left or right. So I placed the ailerons (tape the gap between the wing and the aileron!) and steering is much better. After some flights is placed the 2 motors and on 8 cell’s nimh it goes vertical my friend :) touch and goes aren’t a problem. I’m planning to pace balsa aileron’s to sharpen the steering. With my new remote I can use the ailerons as flaps to enhance landing and low fly-by’s.

Since it is winter here I could test the new cam setup only once and didn’t notice any problems. The cam setup is powered with a separate 9V battery and well shielded.

I started flying with the stock easystar about 1 year ago. After a few months I got board and didn’t like the steering, the plane dropped when moving left or right. So I placed the ailerons (tape the gap between the wing and the aileron!) and steering is much better. After some flights is placed the 2 motors and on 8 cell’s nimh it goes vertical my friend :) touch and goes aren’t a problem. I’m planning to pace balsa aileron’s to sharpen the steering. With my new remote I can use the ailerons as flaps to enhance landing and low fly-by’s.

Since it is winter here I could test the new cam setup only once and didn’t notice any problems. The cam setup is powered with a separate 9V battery and well shielded.

Oh I believe you when you say touch and goes are not a problem going vertical... very impressive. The reason I asked about the foam ailerons is I did the same thing, even put mylar tape on it like you did. But they are soft foam so it was not as crisp on turns, but you noticed that too so going balsa is the right path to take.

Thomas... that's INSANE MAN!!! All those selectable voltage regulators, OSD, video switcher(?), and 90A Hyperion ESC? whoa... you sure don't play small! And that Lawmate TX with the unusual antenna... or is it simply a 5db but stripped of it's housing? Anyhow ...Me like :D

I only have one cam on it, so no video switcher :-)

yes the TX antenna is stripped from the plactic, to make it fit in the edge of the wing,

I have 2 SBEC mounted one for RX and 6 digi servos, the other for OSD GPS CAM and one 5 to 12V step up for the cam,

I can mount several different GPS units at the same time and compare their results live on the screen using TWO OSD boards :-)

that plane is huge, and quite overpowered, goes vertically like H*** !

total plane weight 4500 grams, total power 2500W, max ground speed recorded 213kmh

it takes 20 sec from ground to sky level

Dawggone it Thomas. You put your URL on here and I had to go spend two hours there. I spend more time looking at links than I do on the forum. Boy, I sure wish I had your energy to build all that stuff. A few more brain cells wouldn't hurt either. Great website...

Ron

thanks RON !!

words like that makes it all worth it,

how many of my online pages did you see ??

this is what I have on one of my sites the webx.dk

Tech info about this site:

793.886.060 bytes in 6.801 files,in 224 directories

Actual space used (considering cluster size) on source drive: 924.614.656 Bytes

Hi,

I have a pretty good first - time setup and had the first video flight last week, with a few glitchy problems but I think sorted now.

What is the best option for posting videos?? I see you use Vimeo, is that for sharing vids, or would You Tube be just as OK??

Thanks

magnetman

Hi,

I have a pretty good first - time setup and had the first video flight last week, with a few glitchy problems but I think sorted now.

What is the best option for posting videos?? I see you use Vimeo, is that for sharing vids, or would You Tube be just as OK??

Thanks

magnetman

First of all welcome to RC Cam Magnetman!!

We use Vimeo because it does not have the 100 meg video size restrictions like Youtube, plus Vimeo allows us to upload much higher resolution videos. The bonus part is for all Vimeo members, they allow us to download the video we watch so we can enjoy them again at our leisure, like yours for instance ;)

Here's mine :) . The TwinStar has 2 cameras and 900mhz, 2.4ghz wireless gear.

Late entry. I like the twin motor plane on the left. The camera is perfect for viewing! :D

First of all welcome to RC Cam Magnetman!!

We use Vimeo because it does not have the 100 meg video size restrictions like Youtube, plus Vimeo allows us to upload much higher resolution videos. The bonus part is for all Vimeo members, they allow us to download the video we watch so we can enjoy them again at our leisure, like yours for instance ;)

Ok, Vimeo it is http://www.vimeo.com/magnetman

hope you like it!

WOW!!!! What a great flying field!!!! So wide and open!!!! So what DVR are you using to cause all the little chunks?

Yep, we're lucky to have it - The mini DVR is odd, great little device courtesy of Ebay, meant for security but does 625 lines fine. I don't know who manufactures it, I've even asked the seller. I get 50 mins of high quality video using a 1GB SD card, but as I said, if you download to PC via USB the files are in small chunks, I have a S/W package that joins them, but, it doesn't get the order right. The only way to do it is to download from the DVR via a video grabber. May as well get myself a laptop!

post-3996-1202683633_thumb.jpg

post-3996-1202684447_thumb.jpg

May as well get myself a laptop!

You know you are hooked into this hobby when you start spending a lot more than anticipated!!! :D

You know you are hooked into this hobby when you start spending a lot more than anticipated!!! :D

Yeah I found that out! Time on hobby has increased somewhat, having to bribe the G/F... :o

Yeah I found that out! Time on hobby has increased somewhat, having to bribe the G/F... :o

Being a cheapskate I have found a way around the split file problem with my mini DVR http://www.startechoutlet.com/secumatepocketdvr.htm if you would like to get one, cheaper than a laptop and you get no loss of video quality due to frame dropping with a video grabber, unless you have very high speed kit.

bit long winded but here's how..

After transferring the numerous (hundreds) of .ASF files to your PC from the SD card, batch rename them all with a number in brackets http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/file/...windows-xp.html.

buy a copy of Ultra video joiner (about 12 Quid) http://www.aone-soft.com/joiner.htm

Import the files into the joiner, say 60 at a time, (notice that the numbering puts all the files in the right sequence). Output the files in any format you want (I stick to .ASF as it takes less time)

Join them, then save that file. Do the same with your next batch of files, when you have all the files joined, just join the joined ones to make your video ready for editing. :P

I will be putting some new vids on my fledgling website soon www.magnetman.plus.com

Being a cheapskate I have found a way around the split file problem with my mini DVR http://www.startechoutlet.com/secumatepocketdvr.htm if you would like to get one, cheaper than a laptop and you get no loss of video quality due to frame dropping with a video grabber, unless you have very high speed kit.

bit long winded but here's how..

After transferring the numerous (hundreds) of .ASF files to your PC from the SD card, batch rename them all with a number in brackets http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/file/...windows-xp.html.

buy a copy of Ultra video joiner (about 12 Quid) http://www.aone-soft.com/joiner.htm

Import the files into the joiner, say 60 at a time, (notice that the numbering puts all the files in the right sequence). Output the files in any format you want (I stick to .ASF as it takes less time)

Join them, then save that file. Do the same with your next batch of files, when you have all the files joined, just join the joined ones to make your video ready for editing. :P

I will be putting some new vids on my fledgling website soon www.magnetman.plus.com