JMS

Show Us Your Fpv Platform!

Should have asked when I posted. Where did you stick the resistors on the servo. all three pot contacts or just the 2 ends??

Ahhh. That did it for me. Surface mount Rs would be a good hit on that conversion. Thanks a lot Pal and have a good tomorrow. Nice & sunny down here. How is it up in your part of the woods?

That R/C Group forum is mind boggleing. I get my head overstuffed when ever I go there & have to take a 4 hour rest afterward......

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Ahhh. That did it for me. Surface mount Rs would be a good hit on that conversion. Thanks a lot Pal and have a good tomorrow. Nice & sunny down here. How is it up in your part of the woods?

That R/C Group forum is mind boggleing. I get my head overstuffed when ever I go there & have to take a 4 hour rest afterward......

It's been sunny here as well!!! It's just bad timing that I have lots of work that I am struggling to catch up on. Then I must do the family thing... you know spend time with the wife & kids then the day is gone... no time left for myself to fly. I'll get a chance one of these days... I'm optimistic! :D

It's been sunny here as well!!! It's just bad timing that I have lots of work that I am struggling to catch up on. Then I must do the family thing... you know spend time with the wife & kids then the day is gone... no time left for myself to fly. I'll get a chance one of these days... I'm optimistic!

Yep, I know what you mean. Weather is bad for so long as soon as a good day comes along you have to take the family out. Not enough good days to go round :(

Oh well, I live in hope :D

Terry

Yep, I know what you mean. Weather is bad for so long as soon as a good day comes along you have to take the family out. Not enough good days to go round :(

Oh well, I live in hope :D

Terry

Terry.. I'm glad I am not alone....sigh... another beautiful bright and sunny day today with no wind.... my plane is gathering dust :(:D

Sigh.....Beautiful sunny day, 59 degrees, no clouds, just a little occasional breeze,.....and I don't have anything to take to the air..............sigh.....

Should have asked when I posted. Where did you stick the resistors on the servo. all three pot contacts or just the 2 ends??

Resistors are the ideal way (and less complicated!!) if you don't need proportional, I have a proportional setup so I could go to a 'park' position for landing by flicking a switch on the tranny :P

Edited by magnetman

Yes, but we need propo for camera pan and tilt. We are still using the original feedback pot in the servo, but the resistors allow us to expand the range of the servo. The setup in the transmitter remains the same but we now have extended servo range operation due to the added resistors. I asked the question because I couldn't remember wether three were required or just the two at the ends of the pot. Your solution is ideal when you need to park the servo at specificed points.

Thanks

Ron

Yes, but we need propo for camera pan and tilt. We are still using the original feedback pot in the servo, but the resistors allow us to expand the range of the servo. The setup in the transmitter remains the same but we now have extended servo range operation due to the added resistors. I asked the question because I couldn't remember wether three were required or just the two at the ends of the pot. Your solution is ideal when you need to park the servo at specificed points.

Thanks

Ron

Ron,

I guess you get about 180 degrees with resistors? depends on how close the pot wiper can get to its end stops. Mine can pan 360+ because I geared the feedback pot, but I have found I do not need full 360 because of the wide lens angle. Also, I have tried using the rate switch to reduce the pan if required, but the neutral points are not matched for some reason. Ah well- more experimentation <_< Using one resistor would be good if you only wanted to pan to a greater extent in one direction though, say normal left pan and right pan extend to what you want, within the limits of the pot end stops

Edited by magnetman

I'm taking the easy out. I have a sail servo from Heathkit (remember them?), that rotates several times to haul the main sail

lines in but haven't done it yet but it should do the job for me.

I'm taking the easy out. I have a sail servo from Heathkit (remember them?), that rotates several times to haul the main sail

lines in but haven't done it yet but it should do the job for me.

Great idea - must be quite large though??

This is where you can find a vid of my cam assembly on bench test. I've slowed the retract servo down a bit since then, the servo amp burnt out becuase of too much current demand! http://www.vimeo.com/754927

Edited by magnetman

The sail servo is about the size of a standard servo with a small prool in place of the output arm. Will just glue about a 2" wheel on top of the spool and mount the tilt servo & camera on top of that.

Only part required besides camera and 2 servos is a small piece of 1/16 ply or plastic.

Your Vimeo link is protected. No access.

The sail servo is about the size of a standard servo with a small prool in place of the output arm. Will just glue about a 2" wheel on top of the spool and mount the tilt servo & camera on top of that.

Only part required besides camera and 2 servos is a small piece of 1/16 ply or plastic.

Your Vimeo link is protected. No access.

OOPs OK now fixed... http://www.vimeo.com/754927 :D

Looking good Richard. You should have all the coverage you'll ever need with that setup.

Hi all, first I should introduce myself. I am a long time lurker / reader but have not posted much.

My name is Steve and I live in Calgary Alberta, (looking for some other FPV flyers or just rc flyers to join me sometime)

My first FPV plane was a stryker F27C and it was awesome! loops barrel rolls but I wanted to go slower and enjoy the ride... so.... This is my bird. I have not maidened her yet but I have plans for tonight if the wind dies down.

The plane:

Easy Glider (multiplex)

Spektrum DX7 with full range receiver installed

Servo's for rudder and elevator are installed in the tail

Carbonfibre rod where the servo rods are supposed to go (you can now pick the plane up by the tail no worries)

Video gear is Future hobbies sony 520 lines camera and 500mw 900 mz reciever

Motor is Park-450 from eflite with 20 amp ESC

Batteries are 3 cell 2200 mah for motor and 800mah for camera and transmitter

The small switch you see in the picture turns the camera on and off via my gear switch

The power pod is not made for that plane obviously but I did not want to see a prop in the picture.

Paint is Rustoleum from Revy

All up weight with both batteries is 1060 grams from the factory they say it will be 880 so that is a total of 180g extra... I am hoping it's not too much.

I do have one concern though. The prop is pitched up a couple degrees but when at full throttle the whole plane noses down hard when held in my hand??? I am worried this will do the same thing in flight and I will be nose in before I "nose" it!

Anyway just wanted to say hi and show my platform... though it has not been tested just yet.

Take care all and if you have any comments give a shout... if you live in Calgary then definately give a shout.

Steve

post-3693-1210468064_thumb.jpg

post-3693-1210468071_thumb.jpg

post-3693-1210468076_thumb.jpg

post-3693-1210468081_thumb.jpg

post-3693-1210468086_thumb.jpg

Edited by saabguyspg

Ahh another Canuck!!! Welcome to RC-CAM! ;) I do like your plane but have a second thought om the placement of your 900Mhz TX. Sometimes mishaps do happen when we belly land and it would be a unhappy event when you hit that antenna and desolder the brass SMA connector, or worst delaminate the the copper leads inside. Happened to me before and wasn't pleasant. :( I would place it on the boom for best transmission.... just my 2 cent. :)

Steve I really like your easyglider, where did ya find that power pod? I had to make my own but would have preferred something that looked stock and very nice like yours. Nice setup... will show my two birds in a day or two. I did up a multiplex cularis, which is kinda similar, but much larger. Terry had described the flight characteristics of the new setup to me quite well(essentially like yours). Under full throttle the bird will want to shoot down because all that power is tipping the nose down. The trick is to find the right amount of power that allows the plane to maybe dip very slightly. For my plane that I maidened tonight it's half throttle and she goes fine. When ya can get enough speed then you can juice on her, better with height till you realize what she will do.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23

hey guys thanks for the welcome.

jms.... thank for the tip.... sheesh it really seems obvious now that you point it out... I will have to make a new wiring harnass to move it... hopefully before I nose her in.

Hi Ivan it is a power pod made by great planes, you want the one for electric... haha.. obviously. I maidened her tonight too and found that exact thing you described but I really did not have the thrust I should have with a 10x4.7 prop.

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmg0800.html

I flew the bird today with a few problems. First it fly's like a tank... slow and boring with sloppy inputs. Second I think the pod is to far forward on my plane so if anyone is building one put it right over the c-of G. The only reason I did not do this is because the fuse was not thick enough to hold the pod in that spot. So anyway I cut the power pod in half to change the thrust angle .... glued it all back together and.... realised... I went the wrong way... ooops... Now I cut it apart again. The poor bird is gaining weight by the day.

My other problem is my 520 line camera really sucked. It's the first time I used it (I was using the small one from future hobbies before) it was so dark in my goggles I could not see a thing. So no FPV flying tonight, just me looking at the plane float by under the goggles.... oh well. It all could have been worse. I could have come home with a plane in 4 pieces!

Lets see those pics Ivan.

ps. I am begining to wonder why I took my camera stuff off my stryker.... ;-)

What's the measurement between the base of the pod and the C/L of the engine Please.....

Here is my brand new setup. Its my first FPV plane. I havent flown it yet. Just finished it tonight. Comments / Suggestions welcomed!!!

Plane is an easystar. I've heard they're the best for starting with FPV. Interestingly, when I bought it I was expecting Blue, but this one is Gray. I like the color scheme better than blue.

mini-DSC00644.jpg

Wow... Pretty looking... Not for long!!!

mini-DSC00646.jpg

The camera / TX setup I bought from ebay for relatively cheap. Its a 2.4Ghz 200mW transmitter, with a 420 line camera. I disconnected the infrared LED's, since they're useless and hogging power up. It is also on a small pan servo. I'd love tilt aswell, but only have 4 channels to work with (for now).

mini-DSC00647.jpg

The TX is on the rear part of the fuse, to keep it away from the radio RX and servos. Keeps jitter to a minimum. I had it on the rear cockpit wall, but had some servo jittering. The motor is a Tower-pro BL2409-12T. Man that sucker goes!!! I almost think it will be too much power!

mini-DSC00648.jpg

I am amazed with the sheer size of this plane, and how that wimpy stock 400 brushed motor & 6" prop would have pushed this plane into the sky at all!

I hope to have a nice day to take all my equipment to the field and test it out very soon!!!