JMS

Show Us Your Fpv Platform!

"Niceglider" dang that thing goes high. Do you have a patch ant? you had no glitches on that video. I have glitches here and there running a 500mw and patch so I am weary to take it too far away.

Ron I am not sure if you were asking me for the pod measurement but you don't want to know mine as you will see if you read on.

So I adjusted the thrust angle waaaay up and tried again today.... whoa what a difference. Now on full throttle she climbs very nicely and steady as far as you want her to go. Before with the wrong thrust angle I could barely clear 100' in the air. Also I doubled the flight time.

I have however learned something here that I should have known. The prop itself should be right over the c of g then you will minimise these issues. Mine is waaaay forward and hence it really pushed the nose down. My new thrust angle as crazy as it is works though so I am keeping it.

The other thing I learned is why the heck did I put the engine in the pod??? Why oh why did I not think outside the box sooner. The pod should carry the camera and the transmitter and the engine should be in the front. Now that would be a nice view. So to all those out here planning on this build put the pod over the c of g and put the camera in the pod.

Other than that I had a great flight with a great video recorded but now I have to download it to my computer. I am not sure how to do that. I have a digital 8 camera with firewire connection. Can anyone please tell me what they use to capture the video on the computer and what they use to edit it?

Thanks guys and hopefully we see some more planes here.

saabguyspg wrote: Ron I am not sure if you were asking me for the pod measurement but you don't want to know mine as you will see if you read on.

Yes, I was. I'm looking for a pod to use on my Discus CS sailplane. I don't want to butcher the nose to install a motor. I need something to bolt/strap on that will handle up to a 12" (max) prop and a 400W motor and was wondering if that pod might work.

Ron

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

I think it would. See that one gives enough room to clear a 9" prop on my plane. I am running a park 450 in it. It gives lots of options for mounting. You can use elastics, glue or bolt through the fuse to a back plate. All harware for each option is included.

Like i say though try and keep the pod over the c of g if you can. When I had it on there the first time (no up thrust) it was horribly inefficient.... horribly. Now I'd say i have almost 10 degrees of up thrust on her and its perfect.

Either way you can not get away from the the down tipping of the plane because the motor is so far away from the body.

My plane is a 1.8m plane and factory out of the box it is 880 grams. With all my vid equip it sits at 1060g I think. But the pod will work on anything around 2.0m wing. If you want i can get the measurement but really I don't think you ought to do the same as me.

good luck

Well, as I said, I'm looking for pod options. The Discus has a 2652 mm wingspan and mounting over the C/G would be no problem at all. When I have the chance I would like to use it as a pure sailplane as well and only a pod will give me that option. It's AUW will be around 2.2kg. If necessary, I can carve a mold and laminate some glass, but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Ron

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

"Niceglider" dang that thing goes high. Do you have a patch ant? you had no glitches on that video. I have glitches here and there running a 500mw and patch so I am weary to take it too far away.

Hi,

Yes, patch + diversity.

Video - it's pur new project - now is HD 720p - within next days - 1080p.

All you will find on RC-CAM.PL. We just starting english speaking subboard: RC-CAM.PL in English

Resolution 640x480

Antenna patch have litle tuning

http://www.vimeo.com/988944

or check quality at You Tube

Another video- :D resolution 1280x720

http://www.vimeo.com/982211

Edited by niceglider

Ron then I think you will be quite happy with that power pod. the kit is quite good for 14$

thanks for the links niceglider I will check em out tonight!

OK I'll order one. Thanks much for the info.

Ron

Hi all, first I should introduce myself. I am a long time lurker / reader but have not posted much.

My name is Steve and I live in Calgary Alberta, (looking for some other FPV flyers or just rc flyers to join me sometime)

My first FPV plane was a stryker F27C and it was awesome! loops barrel rolls but I wanted to go slower and enjoy the ride... so.... This is my bird. I have not maidened her yet but I have plans for tonight if the wind dies down.

The plane:

Easy Glider (multiplex)

Spektrum DX7 with full range receiver installed

Servo's for rudder and elevator are installed in the tail

Carbonfibre rod where the servo rods are supposed to go (you can now pick the plane up by the tail no worries)

Video gear is Future hobbies sony 520 lines camera and 500mw 900 mz reciever

Motor is Park-450 from eflite with 20 amp ESC

Batteries are 3 cell 2200 mah for motor and 800mah for camera and transmitter

The small switch you see in the picture turns the camera on and off via my gear switch

The power pod is not made for that plane obviously but I did not want to see a prop in the picture.

Paint is Rustoleum from Revy

All up weight with both batteries is 1060 grams from the factory they say it will be 880 so that is a total of 180g extra... I am hoping it's not too much.

I do have one concern though. The prop is pitched up a couple degrees but when at full throttle the whole plane noses down hard when held in my hand??? I am worried this will do the same thing in flight and I will be nose in before I "nose" it!

Anyway just wanted to say hi and show my platform... though it has not been tested just yet.

Take care all and if you have any comments give a shout... if you live in Calgary then definately give a shout.

Steve

Hey saab guy just noticed in your picture of the tail where your servo is located, just to warn you I did this exact same thing with the cularis(which I'm fixing now) and the easystar(which hasn't broke yet, moved it before it did) is only a matter of time before that servo strips from landing in grass or hitting anything. :angry: Drive me nuts, the one in the cularis is in so well and wires hidden within the body that I don't think I'm pulling out the broken one, in fact might leave it in and string new wires out back outside body, won't look as nice.

You could always add a guard or something, I had move the easystar right to the back and added a guard.

Ivan.

Ivan, thanks greatly for the tip.... I am going to put a guard on it for sure.... mmm.... perhaps just the old half a plastic spoon, but you are correct only a matter of time before that catches something.

oh by the way if you are buying that pod just so you know I put both my speed control and my BEC inside the pod to clean up the inside of the plane. Plus they can easily be "gotten to" if need be. And don't screw the coweling on like they say electrical tape sticks perfectly to the foam and peals off without wrecking it again and again.

Thanks again.

ps with this setup it flys so slowly I was running in front of the plane while flying it to video myself running..... there is no need for flaps at all.... course that could have something to do with my helicopter like thrust angle....

Edited by saabguyspg

Funny thing, I was originally going to buy easyglider wings for my easystar and just weasel em on. But after flying my new easystar, just wasn't happy with it, so when I was at the local hobby store getting servo for broken cularis one, saw easyglider. Bought the whole thing for 20 bucks more than I was buying the wings for. Just bought the pod a couple hours ago, will see how it goes together in a couple weeks. Just wished I didn't have to wait so long.

:(

Ivan.

cool, I can't wait to see what ya do with it. the powere version has a bit more space for batteries etc without much carving required so if you got that one then you are off to the races... if not oh well get out the drill press and a big as*ed drill and start carving.....

oh yeah I meant to tell you that my c of g is about and inch foreward of the recommended spot but she flies perfect in the wind, she just sits there and sinks slightly foreward and darn near straight down with throttle off. So if yours ends up nose heavy no worries.

I am excited that I just ordered the Intelligent flight OSD (not the dragon but the IFOSD) and can't wait to get that installed.

Funny thing, I was originally going to buy easyglider wings for my easystar and just weasel em on. But after flying my new easystar, just wasn't happy with it, so when I was at the local hobby store getting servo for broken cularis one, saw easyglider. Bought the whole thing for 20 bucks more than I was buying the wings for. Just bought the pod a couple hours ago, will see how it goes together in a couple weeks. Just wished I didn't have to wait so long.

:(

Ivan.

Hey saabguy, can you post a photo of your new angle on the pod?

Finally here are some pics of the cularis, the easystar didn't do so well in the tests so I wasn't even going to launch it with full payload (photo camera pointing down and kx171 for shooting forward, on top of that forgot to glue the one screw for the elevator so it wouldn't loosen in flight and she came down hard enough to deform the cabin, I know I can fix it, just don't want to look at it right now what's funny is my old trainer is in poorer shape and works way better :huh: ).

Anyways stats:

2.2kg no wheels, 2.4kg with wheels (estimate have not made rear ones) stock weight is 1.68kg with electric

range video 900mhz .5 w system

Canon hf100 hd camera to sdhc card (no hard drive, no moving parts cept focus) this camera is also primary for shooting forward

gyro'd one aileron and elevator, trying to figure out how to do rudder as wires are within body

3amp ubec

fiberglassed entire fuse, had gutted a lot of the front

** note to others, for rudder and elevator, string cables through original wire rod areas, and just pop both control servo's on the top of the tall above the elevator and swap the elevator upside down so you will a. protect them from landings because they are bound to break underneath and b. ease to replace

Also if your putting on wheels, plan and test put everything together before you glue together(test balance). Originally I didn't plan for wheels so right now it doesn't seem possible unless I make somewhat heavy wheels on the rear.

Ivan.

post-4405-1210793335_thumb.jpg

post-4405-1210793345_thumb.jpg

post-4405-1210793354_thumb.jpg

post-4405-1210793363_thumb.jpg

post-4405-1210793372_thumb.jpg

Edited by headhunter23

Ivan, that is insane... in the membrane! I love it. you will have to keep us posted on the video you record.

Is that an in-runner you have there Ivan? I am swinging such a big prop compared to you. I have a 9X4.5 if I remember right.

All in all she is a beast to behold! Let me know how she lands with the wheels. When I get home I will take a pic of the thrust angle... you will laugh but it works very efficiently.

As for c of g yeah I know it's lots but it works. Better nose heavy than tail anyway especially with some wind and you want to shut down the motor and float. I circled with a hawk

the other day and he got pissed off that I was trying to use his thermal and left.

Also to others: as an alternate you can run the servo wires between two halves of the fuse along the bottom, they fit in there nicely and don't stick out at all.

Then you tape over it and you can always access them to replace them. This leaves the factory recess in the foam where the long servo linkage wire goes open for

two carbon fibre rods. I can't stress how much that strengthened the plane when I put those in. Hot glue these in it's stronger.

Also the tail is a bit flimsy too causing some erratic behavior in flight so add some carbon fibre to that too. Just some flat strips up the leading edge does wonders.

Thanks, am trying to shy away from carbon fiber, especially in the fuse. Apparently it will interfere or hinder with both the receiver and the tx. I wouldn't have thought so but that's what one or two guys had mentioned when I was asking about materials that don't work with the units. The fiberglass works extremely well at strengthening, but I'm sure it's more weight than putting in a spar or two.

Oh yea forgot to post motor stats, prop is 8x4, pulls 54 amps static, so less when flying I'm assuming. This is the motor I'm using

http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDHOBBIES...?idProduct=5421

at full throttle I can go... maybe 70 degrees and climb no issues but really sucks back the juice. packs are 1x 4400mah 11.1v(motor) and 1x1300mah 11.1v (rest of stuff).

I think I can get maybe 15min with throttle at half way per pack, more time if I glide but am using the plane specifically for low level flying so don't want her to stall. Plus kinda hard to tell stall point from fpv, need more practice I guess. I'm sure I could go slower and get more time in, still need to play around with it. Already done one video but was gusty and didn't turn out very well at all. Also I didn't have the gyro's in, so hopefully that makes things better. Also going to redo the mount, add more foam take out the velcro etc, or atleast just have a very small portion to keep camera in one spot.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23

hey Ivan here is the thrust angle.... insane eh? but it works like a dam. Before all the lift i was generating with the wings was being cancelled by the pivot of the pod tipping the nose down. Now if you hold it at the c of g and throttle up it tips much less but best of all anything over half throttle and she climbes so even 1/4 throttle is keeping her up nicely for floating and amazing slow fly by's.

I can see why you need the flaps with the heavier setup. How do they work for you?

the weather is going to be perfect this weekend, nice and hot. But alas I will be in BC without the plane... oh well. I may get in one flight tomorrow night before I go.

post-3693-1210825020_thumb.jpg

Wow that is a lot more than the angle set on the cularis. Flaps are nice, slows plane down awsome, there's a butteryfly or crow option which uses the ailerons and flaps in opposite directions for landings, works amazing but still need to add more elevator as it has a tendancy to dive when mode is on. If ya didn't have it, thing would take forever to stop, just slides.

So with the angle on the motor you can launch full throttle? Or you still have to find somewhere in between?

Ivan.

I launch about half throttle but once in the air full throttle only means it goes up with no "nose dipping" so I can assume a full throttle launch would mean it would just go up. I can control the rate of rise with the throttle as opposed to elevator if I want. So that being said the angle could be less but I like the flight characteristics.

Steve

Nice !

I was thinking of a similar setup. What motor and battery are you using ?

Any Video ?

Terry

3s/2200, 2700Kv inrunner from hobbycity, and for now badly chosen prop...

No video yet, as you can see in the capture the weather wasn't for the most interesting kind of images...

The flight wasn't terribly fun either, with some R/C glitches, while the first flight I had done a couple of weeks ago was just a whole new sensation in FPV.

I guess that prop has quite a lot to do in this.

3s/2200, 2700Kv inrunner from hobbycity, and for now badly chosen prop...

No video yet, as you can see in the capture the weather wasn't for the most interesting kind of images...

The flight wasn't terribly fun either, with some R/C glitches, while the first flight I had done a couple of weeks ago was just a whole new sensation in FPV.

I guess that prop has quite a lot to do in this.

I´m planning on a Funjet too, I´ve ordered this motor from united too:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...?idProduct=5203

I´m planning on mounting a 6x4E APC or so.

Which fpv equipment are you using?

OK, I have that one:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/u...shless_Inrunner

with a 40A ESC, running at.. 40A full throttle.

I have a 5.6x5.6" now, guess I'll go to something like 7x4". There's too much pitch now and the prop must most likely be cavitating.

I'm using the usual TX40 and an IFOSD.

With your light motor and a camera you'll most likely have to put your battery quite far back (more inside the closed part of the fuselage, with the RX at the front) to balance the thing. Mine is just the perfect weight for me to put the 2200mAh pack 2cm back from the front wall, and my camera setup is very light.