JMS

Show Us Your Fpv Platform!

Hey niceglider, your recording those through onboard camera right? Not at the base station?

Ivan

Hi.

camera witch recorder is on board,and another recorder (camera dv with inAV) is connected to receiver.

New video, from rc-cam Poland :) .

http://www.vimeo.com/1058217

Edited by niceglider

Well I guess I will be the first to post on this new thread dedicated to FPV. I would like to start by showing my FPV platform, hopefully others can see and perhaps use my example or better yet, make it better!!! My plane is a Multiplex Easystar, the camera is a KX151, the motor is a Hyperion, the ESC Hyperion Titan 20, the prop is a 7X4, the A/V TX and RX is Airwave but not shown is the Lawmate 500mW I also use. I have installed ailerons and extended my rudder for improved control since stock is not very aggressive enough for me. The camera pan servo is a Hitec HS81 with the stop notch removed and 1K 1/8watt resistors soldered to the POT leads for 180' spin radius. The radio is a Futaba T9CAP.

Here is a sample video of this in action: http://www.vimeo.com/448699

JMS

John, that is some smooth flying, the first part shot in the evening sun is superb, made me feel I was up there with it. The next best thing for us wannabe piolts ;)

At about 4 mins into the video there is a plume of smoke on the horizon, can you tell me what it is & why didn't you get nearer then fly through it :P

Nice shooting mate, smoothly flown.

Ross

I don't know if my Trex 600E qualifies as I don't actually fly by video, by I use it to carry my Canon 40D & also my Panasonic SD9.

My Baby

Chasing the girls

And here is some video shot from it, bit shaky as it's a pan & tilt mount that my Mrs controls, we are very much newbies at this sort of thing, but I'm sure you get the idea behind it.

Just make sure you choose to watch in High Quality or youtube will give you a very much compressed version.

Ross

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2465.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2468.jpg

One of my newer fixed wing FPV rides with RVOSD, 1.3 Ghz, and a KX171 cam. Fun to taxi and T/O but I belly it in because the retracts are a weak link. This is a Hobby Lobby F-5 which I fly as a yank and bank. I have the cam pan on the rudder channel which is "y'ed" off the nose steering. I also have their F-4 Phantom and a system coming for it as well...900 Mhz this time.

I balast the rig with the TX batt in the rear. I've thought about moving the batt to the middle and adding a wide cam on top of the tail with some sort of an A/B switch. Has anyone used or built a switcher yet?

Edited by Aerial Platform

-right click on the boxed "X"

-click properties

-highlight the url address and copy it

-paste it/enter in the browser and when the pic shows, click the back arrow on the browser

-and there it is viewable to all, for a little while anyway.

For some unknown reason to me, the images turn back into the boxed "X" after a while. I can redo the sequence as often as I return to check it. What's up here? Can someone ~Xplane~ it? Is it because the pics are linked from another forums gallery? Thanks.

I don't even have boxed Xs, just nothing. And yes it might be because you're linking from another forum, most block that so that people don't use their bandwidth to post in other places.

To do that, use a dedicated photo hosting site like http://www.photobucket.com

One of my newer fixed wing FPV rides with RVOSD, 1.3 Ghz, and a KX171 cam. Fun to taxi and T/O but I belly it in because the retracts are a weak link. This is a Hobby Lobby F-5 which I fly as a yank and bank. I have the cam pan on the rudder channel which is "y'ed" off the nose steering. I also have their F-4 Phantom and a system coming for it as well...900 Mhz this time.

I balast the rig with the TX batt in the rear. I've thought about moving the batt to the middle and adding a wide cam on top of the tail with some sort of an A/B switch. Has anyone used or built a switcher yet?

Thanks Kilrah. Working now. :D

OK Gary, here ya go...

I use a 2500mah 4S lipo pack for main power. The electronics are stock with 70 mm fan and 45amp speed controller. I fly for 5 minutes on average but with throttle management I can get 7 out of it. Top speed has slowed down due to the weight so I see about 60mph level unaccelerated. Diving will push it over 80 on the flyby.

I haven't weighed the model RTF. This was a quick install and weight could be saved with a smaller TX batt and relocating the components for CG. With only 5-7 minutes flight time, the TX batt only needs to cover about 10 minutes run time. Less than 100mah.

For the F-4 Phantom I plan to; ditch the landing gear, upgrade the power package to a 70 amp system on 5S, use the smallest 3S TX batt I can find (250 mah for now), and spend more time on the install. I'll stay with the external install but I'll flush mount the components and use a clear cover with venting considerations, reducing the parasidic drag.

The beauty of foam is the ease to "Kit Bash". And if the thing crashes, the components are protected. Repairs are easy and quick with foam.

Edited by Aerial Platform

This is a Hobby Lobby F-5 which I fly as a yank and bank. I have the cam pan on the rudder channel which is "y'ed" off the nose steering.

Actually, the cam/nose gear are "Y"ed BUT on a seperate channel from the rudder. They are assigned to the rudder stick and I can flip a switch and the rudder stays centered for yank and banking but controls the camera pan. I can also dial in a percentage of mix between the two if I want. Avoids the need for a head tracker and is simpler to set up...

...although I own several head trackers, they are great for slower planes that are more stable. I tried the tracker with tilt but it was more of a distraction. I love the trackers on my Easy Star. I have considered adding a Futaba wing leveler to the jets, mainly for the RVOSD auto pilot sinse it uses the rudder and elevator for control and relies on a stable platform for sucessful operation.

DANG! It's like a ghost town around here. Anyway, I have another one for ya. This one is set up for dog fighting. I only have to install the park zone laser tag set up. Hopefully it has a narrower beam Vs splashing the target.

I have two canopies. This one is intended to easily transfer from one plane to another. We have 5 at our field. It's rigged with a KX171 cam, 1.3 ghz tx, and a 350mah 3s lipo. Simply swap canopies and plug the PAN servo into a "Y" cable with the rudder and instant FPV. The cam sits back far enough that I don't need the 180 degree modd. The helmet was swipped from G.I. Joe while he wasn't looking. It fits the KX171 perfect and allows for adequete cooling. The helmet is safety wired to the servo horn and just happens to rest the visor shield behind the lens. Looks cool anyway but more weight.

The other, not shown, is for this aircraft with the RVOSD. It's rigged for head tracking with pan/tilt, KX191 cam, 900 mhz tx, and gets it's power from a seperate 480mah 3s lipo through the RVOSD. It's also seen several night flights. Awesome.

This FPV plane is a little more thought out this time. I love the foam planes. In fact, any thoughts about putting the GPS antenna inside the foam fuse? It picks up very well through my house roof so a 1/2 inch peice of foam shouldn't hurt it. Am I right?

Enjoy! This is the Parkzone T-28 Trojan Plug-n-play version.

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

Rear view is like having an extra cam for free.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

I would imagine there is now going to be a run on GI Joe helmets at the toy store: "Honest, it's for my kid." :)

I'm very happy with the canopy layout. It has endoured a few crashes where the canopy gets ejected. Fortunately, we fly at a soccer field and the grass is forgiving to the canopy but grabs the landing gear. Other than realigning the antenna and double checking everything, it just pops back on and ya either taxi back , fly, or get carried back...

People are thrown back when I offer them to fly FPV with their own T-28. The stock canopy is attached with pins in the front and a single magnet in the rear. The canopy hasn't come off in flight after a fair share of aerobatics and rough landings but a mid air is different. I'm considering a chute for the canopy. There's plenty of room under the deck for it and I imagine that a small peice of velcro will pull the chute when necessary. Never know what's gonna happen when ya dog fight FPV with laser tag modules.

The kid says the helmet is from the little bird pilot figure. From The Ultimate Soldier Collection at Kids r Us. The same littlebird that a few have converted to electric for RC scale apps. I had to drill a small hole on each side for the safety wire. It hides easy. It matches up with the outer two holes on the Mighty Might mini servo horn. Just align and drill. I used a 1/16th" bit. I've got the KX191 and new 201 but they are too wide for the helmet. This fits the KX171 perfect.

What's really cool is when you pan, you see that helmet move in the mirror. I hope to get a video up soon. Just have to get that fire wire cable here....hurry up delivery dood!

It's a nice looking installation. With the tight/close spacing, have you noticed any problems with the 900Mhz Tx causing lower GPS fix counts or servo glitch issues on the neighboring pan/tilt? Some folks do, so don't; it all depends on the EMI/RFI gods (who have a nasty sense of humor).

The kid says the helmet is from the little bird pilot figure. From The Ultimate Soldier Collection at Kids r Us. The same littlebird that a few have converted to electric for RC scale apps. I had to drill a small hole on each side for the safety wire. It hides easy. It matches up with the outer two holes on the Mighty Might mini servo horn. Just align and drill. I used a 1/16th" bit. I've got the KX191 and new 201 but they are too wide for the helmet. This fits the KX171 perfect.

What's really cool is when you pan, you see that helmet move in the mirror. I hope to get a video up soon. Just have to get that fire wire cable here....hurry up delivery dood!

That is pretty cool.

I found the Little Bird and the pilot and my favorite scalemodel shop..

http://www.badcataviation.com/mhlibinist1b.html

The scale is 1:18; other helmets in this scale may fit, too.

It's a nice looking installation. With the tight/close spacing, have you noticed any problems with the 900Mhz Tx causing lower GPS fix counts or servo glitch issues on the neighboring pan/tilt? Some folks do, so don't; it all depends on the EMI/RFI gods (who have a nasty sense of humor).

The pic shows the 1.3ghz but the 900mhz P/T is rigged identical and has only flown once and yes, I had issues but didn't lose video enough to lose control. My receive sites are identical as well. When I use the 1.3 ghz, I have maybe 5 noticable hits but never see any tearing or chroma shift and certanly haven't lost video itself. There's only minor static over the hotspots and that's no big deal. I have read several posts about the 900 gear and I think I have several issues...

1- Patch antennas are mounted on the tripods at about 125 degrees or so and tilted to match the legs. I should consider ground plains for the antennas and maybe lay one flat to earth. I have been exposed to the Cloud Cap Piccolo and it uses a ground plain for its 900 tx. Question is how big should the plates be and how thick? I have 6061 T-6 sheets that are maybe 3mm thick. Will that work?

3- Vova warns of issues with the 900mhz tx so close to the RVOSD. I need to try moving the transmitter aft, away from the rx and RVOSD. Too bad we can't use multiple freq's on the 1.3 side. It seems far more forgiving and just works great.

4- I also have the 2.5 dbi and 3 dbi tx antennas to try. The 3 dbi is large, heavy, and strong enough to act as a snatch hook for carrier landings. Can it hang down towards earth and should I invert the patch's as well?