drmarty

PIC program problems

Well here I go. I have read and reread all the stuff. Thanks Mr RC Cam. I ordered the chips from Digikey. I ordered 10. I also ordered their Microchip PICkit 1 Flash starter kit programmer. It lists the 12C508 as being supported. When I try to write to the chip, I get an error. It says to "Insert Device." It does not appear to be writing but I don't know how to tell short of building it which seems like too much work since I am pretty sure it isn't working.

Has anyone else used the Microchip PICkit 1 Flash Starter Kit? Help :(

Thanks

Marty

RC Cam Man,

Thanks for the reply. OK, I was up all night messing eith this and what you said is exactly what I was beginning to tumble to. It is wierd because they list the 12C508 as supported. OH well. Next step. Do I bundle this up and return it to Digikey? Or can I use a different 8 pin package with your hex code? Like the 12CXXX/JWND shich is an EPROM.

Oh by the way, while I was reading the whole thread last night (and several others) I saw your offer to sell programmed chips. It was not until after I had e-mailed you that I saw the date was 2002. DUH. Sorry. I am helping a good friend with a college project and if I can get 1 working then I will probably make 4 more.

I don't mind buying more chips if this programmer will work but I have read your site and it says it won't work as I read it.

I can order the USB PIC programmer kitfor 35.95, or the P16PRO PIC Programmer for less than $20. Sorry to be so new at this but after reading and reading the pages it seems the difference is that the cheaper one is a parallel rather than USB device. Si o no?

Thanks again.

Assuming I am correct, your Microchip Flash programmer will not be able to program the parts used in CamMan-Aiptek. You may need to return it if that is what you wish to do.

I do not have any experience with the hobby grade PIC programmers so I cannot offer any advice on which to buy. But, there have been recommendations made in this Forum, so look around to see what others are happily using.

Rather than open a new topic, I'll add my question to this old topic, since my question is related.

I've built other electronic projects, but am new to PICs. Like the originator, I'm looking at the PicKit 1 as an inexpensive but reliable entry into PIC programming. Seeing that its seemingly only for Flash chips, I looked for a Flash version of the 12c508/9. Sure enough, Microchip makes a 12f509 that appears to be compatible. Has anyone tried using the 12F509 in place of the 12C508 or 12C509? Any reason it wouldn't work?

Mouser carries the 12f509 for $1.01 under stock number 579-PIC12F509-E/P

Thanks,

Brad

Has anyone tried using the 12F509 in place of the 12C508 or 12C509?

I am still waiting for my samples. The PIC12F509 is suppose to be a direct replacement. However, those that want to use it need to confirm that their chip Programmer can support this brand new part.

I have no idea if the PICKit 1 will allow you to create/compile code for it, or program the part, so check with Microchip on those two issues.

Microchip makes a 12f509 that appears to be compatible. Has anyone tried using the 12F509 in place of the 12C508 or 12C509?

I just tried it out and failed. My commercial programmer does not have a device library for this new part yet, so I burnt it as a PIC12C509. The part sort of worked, but not entirely.

At this point I assume the issue is related to the programmer. As soon as an updated device library includes the new F part, I will try again.

Update: I just programmed a couple RC-CAM projects {that were released as PIC12C508/509} using a PIC12F509. With the updated programmer library driver, it worked just fine. So, if your programmer supports the 12F509 part, then you are good to go.

...<snip>...

So, if your programmer supports the 12F509 part, then you are good to go.

RC-CAM

My background is in mainframe and micro assembly, but PICs are an entirely new ballgame WRT the hardware programming aspects. While I haven't gone thru the HEX supplied with many of your projects, it is my understanding that configuration settings are included. Do the configuration settings embedded in the HEX code override the software settings (I'm using MPLAB v7.01) if the S/W settings differ?

Microchip has indicated that the code developed for the 12C5xx series may be seamlessly ported to the 12F5xx PIC. Is there any other tweaking to be done, or can I just choose the 12F509 as my device and leave all else the same when using the 12C5xx files?

Regards,

Andrew

web2.MurrayState.Edu/Andy.Batts/PS/SimpleDriver.htm

Do the configuration settings embedded in the HEX code override the software settings...
That is what is expected.

Microchip has indicated that the code developed for the 12C5xx series may be seamlessly ported to the 12F5xx PIC.
That is what they claim. I am currently scratching my head on a 12F5xx problem. For some reason, it is refusing to reliably load the OSCAL value at boot time. I never saw that problem with the old 12C5xx series.

:) Hi

I did use a Microchip PICkit 1 Flash Starter Kit to program a 12f509 with RC-CAM Hex Code .

I did use the Microchit Baseline Flash programmer software(free) it works fine.

The tip is to have a recent Pic kit Firmware:v2.0.1 . As mine is old ,I did order the update Kit .

If you order it now , it will be uptodate.

Special thanks for the developper, what a good job!!!

Regards,