reuben

Uk Regulations - System With Best Range?

I don't think I'd worry too much about interference on 2.4 from wifi. Normally our flying is at a club field which is far enough away from urban areas. Wifi doesn't have much of a range anyway, maybe 300' (except in SW US where the hams manage to get ranges in excess of 30 miles) and it's line of sight anyway. Even in a city lot there shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you're flying from a high point , say a hill in the middle of town. Even then, since these modules/systems seem to be FM systems, the receiver will capture the strongest signal which should be yours. It goes without saying that even if there is interference your plane/chopper won't be in any danger.

I should add unless you're FPVing.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

On the legality issue my Dad checked all of this stuff out with the relevant bodies and got written confirmation that 2.4Ghz 10mw is legal for air to ground, but as I understand it everything else is (or was) out.

This is correct, lots of people think it's a grey area and you can use 100mw but 10mW at 2.4Ghz IS the only legal way.

Terry

On the subject of legality, what is the worst that can happen if you start using more powerful gear, or gear on the 900mhz band for example?

Transmitting offences under the WT Act 1949 attract a maximum penalty of £5000 and/or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months.

Terry

That is harsh. Although, I would have thought the liklihood of being imprisoned, or even fined would be quite remote given that it would be almost impossible to track down a moving object?

Harsh yes. It is more likely you will get you gear taken and a fine of a few hundred pounds.

If you are sensible then they will never know you are there. They don't look unless they receive complaints, so don't make them look !

Always fly with minimum video power and keep away from houses ;)

Terry

Yeah, agreed.. Best to stick to the power levels that are required for the task in hand, which, if just flying around a normal field with a twinstar, 10mw @ 2.4ghz would most likely suffice..

Better order some 2.4 gear from Range video then! heh. :lol:

Out of interest, I just found this on this page: http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/..._info/ra365.htm

S5.328 The band 960 - 1215 MHz is reserved on a world-wide basis for the use and development of airborne electronic aids to air navigation and any directly associated ground-based facilities.

You could argue that to all intents and purposes, flying FPV in this band is an 'electronic aid'. ;)

Edited by Peaps

OK, you apply for the licence and let me know how you get on :D

Terry

I have purchased a few AMW630Tx/634RX modules and a wide variety of aerials (from no gain to 14dBi gain, both omni and patch).

I will be spending some time in the local fields....

Built many of this TX/RX combo. Managed 1km (10mW) with 2x 8db patches.

Just built a 7 Channel 5.8GHz system pair, testing these now, line-of -sight is good, not so hot through buildings.

Video quality is very good.

Steve

Just built a 7 Channel 5.8GHz system pair, testing these now, line-of -sight is good, not so hot through buildings. Video quality is very good.

I agree, the video quality on the 5.8Ghz Airwave modules is nice.

I agree, the video quality on the 5.8Ghz Airwave modules is nice.

I have been doing some digging and unfortunately 5.8GHz looks like a no go for legal use in the UK. Ofcom have reserved this for "Fixed Wireless Access" for Rural Broadband use and you need to apply for a license to use it for that purpose. Other uses, such as aerial video sending, seem to be illegal in the UK.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/radiocomms/ifi/lic.../5.8_fwa_index/

What services may use 5.8 GHz Band C?

The band at 5725 MHz to 5850 MHz (Band C) can be used for the Fixed Wireless Access (FWA) services, with particular application in areas where broadband is unavailable through standard delivery platforms. FWA operating at band C can be used to provide broadband services to a range of business, private and public users.

900MHz also seems to be out of the question, legally speaking, and Vodafone and o2 operate on 900MHz.

I have got hold of a Wi-Spy USB spectrum analyser and 2.4Ghz is certainly busy where I live (in dense apartment accomodation in the centre of a city (I can pick up over 10 WiFi networks with a standard 4db stock WiFi antenna for instance)) but out at the flying field there was virtually nothing detected, which is good.

I am certain the 5.8GHz (6cm) band is available in the UK for ham radio usage. And honestly, regardless of the RF band, anything you use that works well will probably need the ham ticket. However, I recall that in the UK there are either RA60 rules or ham rules that limit sending a signal from the R/C aircraft. So if you wish to operate within the rules then it is best to check the regs.

5,650 to 5,850=...Ham 6cm band,

9(3) Without prejudice to Clause 1 of this Licence, the Licensee shall not establish or use

the Radio Equipment in any Aircraft or other Airborne Vehicle.

© “Aircraft” and “Airborne Vehicles” includes full size and models and also includes

balloons whether tethered or free;

Terry