Sign in to follow this  
ssassen

Voltage Requirements For Airwave AWM633tx?

Note: these are real 450-500mW transmitters, Airwave sells the same modules with the same name as 200mW models ! The 200mW models are powered with 3.3V, the 500mW models with 5V.

Juergen,

I think you're misinformed, the 3.3V 633TX is quoted as having a 27dBm gain, that's ~500mW. However there used to be a 500mW Airwave module with 5V supply, the 612RF, that's now discontinued, maybe that got you confused?

Cheers,

Sander.

This was a bit of a confusing post. I checked with Airwave, and they haven't heard of a 200mW version of the 633, nor of a 5v version.

The 500mW 633 expires rapidly as the input voltage approaches 4v.

This was a bit of a confusing post. I checked with Airwave, and they haven't heard of a 200mW version of the 633, nor of a 5v version.

The 500mW 633 expires rapidly as the input voltage approaches 4v.

I will verify this information again, also for my own project (layout is nearly finished, voltage regulator is set to 5V...). An Airwave sales person stated the 5V and guaranteed no damage (I asked him because of a mismatch of data sheets). Well, we know that sales persons are not very deep into technical details.

Sorry for the confusion, I will keep you updated.

Juergen

In case it helps with a conclusion, all my AWM633's are 3.3V and their RF output is definitely >450mW. However, the two lower powered Airwave modules (10mW & 40mW), that look identical to the AWM633, are 5V designs.

With a 3.3V supply, the AWM633 runs hot. At 5V, I'll bet you can cook lunch. :)

In case it helps with a conclusion, all my AWM633's are 3.3V and their RF output is definitely >450mW. However, the two lower powered Airwave modules (10mW & 40mW), that look identical to the AWM633, are 5V designs.

With a 3.3V supply, the AWM633 runs hot. At 5V, I'll bet you can cook lunch. :)

Are you sure that the 10mW is 5v?, their datasheet claims 3.3v (AWM630)?

Are you sure that the 10mW is 5v?, their datasheet claims 3.3v (AWM630)?

The data sheet that Airwave sent to me shows that the AWM630 is a 5V part that draws 55mA (see attached). In case it helps with the research, data sheets to the Airwave AWM631 (40mW) and AWM633 (500mW) modules can be downloaded from the dpcav.com site.

I'm sorry that this F/S thread has turned into a fact finding mission. But, I'd hate to see someone fry a module with the wrong voltage. So there is merit in the O/T detour. :)

AWM630TX.pdf

The data sheet that Airwave sent to me shows that the AWM630 is a 5V part that draws 55mA (see attached). In case it helps with the research, data sheets to the Airwave AWM631 (40mW) and AWM633 (500mW) modules can be downloaded from the dpcav.com site.

I'm sorry that this F/S thread has turned into a fact finding mission. But, I'd hate to see someone fry a module with the wrong voltage. So there is merit in the O/T detour. :)

It looks like one needs to be very careful with the AWM630... my datasheet attached.

AWM630TX_SPEC_Ver_A2_3.3V_1_.pdf

What a mess. Since the data sheets obviously have problems, I will contact Airwave ASAP and request accurate voltage information regarding the AWM63x modules.

I noticed that your data sheet is dated 2005 and mine is 2006. Mine is also Ver_A3 whereas yours is a Ver_A2. My fingers are crossed that what I have represents the most recent (and accurate) info.

Hi,

i've accidentally connected an AWM630 on my home made PCB's to 7.4V and didn't notice. Works well without getting the chip overheaded. A couple of weeks later i've checked the volatage and found out about it. Replaced the LM2931CM and voltage was down to 5V. There was no difference in the picture or transmission range, when operating at 7V.

regards,

Sibi

post-2484-1199277446_thumb.jpg

Here is what the Airwave factory had to say: "Our AWM630TX only has one version, the supply voltage is 5V. For AWM631TX, it is 5V too. For AWM633TX, it is 3.3V."

jperth, I can split this discussion up so that your original F/S thread remains on topic. Do you want me to do that? For sure, you should change the voltage comments in your first post to reflect what we have learned here.

Here is what the Airwave factory had to say: "Our AWM630TX only has one version, the supply voltage is 5V. For AWM631TX, it is 5V too. For AWM633TX, it is 3.3V."

jperth, I can split this discussion up so that your original F/S thread remains on topic. Do you want me to do that? For sure, you should change the voltage comments in your first post to reflect what we have learned here.

This would be nice. I also got the reply from Airwave that the 633TX is supplied with 3.3V.

Thanks,

Juergen