Sign in to follow this  
cyber-flyer

Tri-copter For Sale On Ebay.

Came across this Ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/The-last-Co...bayphotohosting

It's kind of interesting to read the story behind the contraption. I wonder why did they fail to control it. It wasn't that long ago, so they should have had reasonable gyros and solid state motor controllers.

I think it comes back to the discussion of scaling up quadrocopter. I suspect it is not as easy as just making props and motors bigger. But it is just a suspicion at this point.

I think the platform design has a lot to do with it. The Sky Commuter seems to have been designed with a lot of emphasis on style rather than stability. But, if it just a scaling issue then we will soon see miniature models of this cool airship at the flying field. :)

I suspect that a Quadrocopter would scale up to man size much easier than designs like this one or the long overdue Moller airships. But for mass appeal, the marketeers are looking for something that has the characteristics of a car, but flies. Flying eggbeaters do not attract the investment community.

With the rear fans closely spaced like that IMO there would be no stability to speak of. It would be akin to balancing a motorcycle that is standing still. Don't think I'd even care to model it without the platform being an equilateral triangle.

Same, the rear fans seem way too close. With such a short distance to the centerline, just imagine the huge thrust difference needed to create a decent momentum... I guess the speech was that "if the controller can be fast enough to keep it on balance it will be OK"... but as we can see on the quadros, there needs to be a lot of power reserve to fly well and handle the dynamic state of the thing. Also... small detail that just strikes me: On tricopters, wasn't it needed to have the single fan mounted on a gimbal? You have no way of controlling yaw without that.

Don't have to read all the text right now but will have a go at it tonight. But IMO the Moller skycar sounds easy to me next to this one.