Sign in to follow this  
dc812

RCST Servo Tester Components

RC-CAM;

Thanks upfront for providing details on so many great projects. I have successfully built and used your LMA's and my latest project is a RCST Servo tester.

I have built one of your RCST projects successfully....I think.

During the build process, I was unable to immediately buy two of your specified components, C1 capacitor 0.1mF / 2%, and C2 capacitor 100mF / 10V. Being a bit a.d.d., I could wait to get the project built, so I subsituted a 20% capacitor for C1, and a 16V capacitor for C2. :(

In your build instructions you are very specific about the C1 capacitor needing to be either a 2% or 5% capacitor for "accuracy". Since I have used a lower tolerance capacitor for C1 (20% vice 2%), what about the servo tester will be less accurate...centering?

Also, not being an electronic type at all, I blindly subsituted a 16V capacitor for C2 instead of a 10V....what effect doe the voltage rating of a capacitor have on this project and/or in general........ie is this type of subsitution generally ok, or is the voltage rating of a capacitor critical in most applications.

Thanks in advance for your advise and generocity in providing so many great (read useful) projects.

DC

Since I have used a lower tolerance capacitor for C1 (20% vice 2%), what about the servo tester will be less accurate...centering?

The only way to know if you are going to have problems is to just try it. If the servo tester provides end to end servo travel at the extreme pot limits, then you will be fine.

I blindly substituted a 16V capacitor for C2 instead of a 10V

10V & 16V rated caps are fine in this 5V application.

RC-CAM,

I ran into an interesting thing on my servo tester. I had tested it with many Hitec Servos, and it seem to operate perfectly. I had tested it on HS311's, HS81MG's, HS55's, HS325HB, HS645MG's......no problem.

I plugged it into a couple of new HS81's, it worked, but the cycle motion was very course. I was able to duplicated this on two HS81's. I re-verified that all of the other servos including three new HS81MG's did not have the problem.

Is it possible that different model servo's react differently to the PIC tester? Is the smoothness of the cycle motion purley a function of the pic program, or can other component effect the signal pulse timing/quality?

Just curious.

DC

The only way to know if you are going to have problems is to just try it. If the servo tester provides end to end servo travel at the extreme pot limits, then you will be fine.

10V & 16V rated caps are fine in this 5V application.