Sign in to follow this  
rcbamm

Can some one explain this to me?

Hi there.

My name is Dan and I am new to the RC-Cam forum and I was hoping someone could explain to me what I would need and how much and is it worth it to get GPS on a FPV setup?

From what I am seeing and reading I guess it is possible to fly your airplane via your computer on a GPS program like Google Earth. I read that I can map out on a program where I want the plane to fly, how fast I want it to fly, how high or low, etc...? would I be able to fly my airplane to my friend's house and back while watching it all on my computer? Can this GPS unit from Rangevideo do all this or some? http://rangevideo.com/index.php?main_page=...;products_id=90

Right now I am saving for the RangeVideo KX171 video setup to start FPV. I was going to save for a HobbyWireless video setup but I just saw a couple days ago how the KX171 claims to go farther and is cheaper then the one I wanted on HW. If any of you seen my thread on RCG for my homemade headtracker (mechanical headtracker B) ) I have that part covered. then I will need some video goggles. probably will save for the Headplay goggles.

Anyhelp will be appriciated!

Thanks! -Dan

Edited by rcbamm

The link you posted is just a GPS receiver alone, it will just give position, heading, speed, altitude,.. on its serial port, nothing more. To do what you want, it's an autopilot you need. A whole other story both in complexity and price.

The link you posted is just a GPS receiver alone, it will just give position, heading, speed, altitude,.. on its serial port, nothing more. To do what you want, it's an autopilot you need. A whole other story both in complexity and price.

Hmmm.... so, that GPS would give me a OSD of my heading speed and altitude? So that's all you need, just that GPS unit? what is the plug for?

I seem to recall reading somewhere in this forum about using a gps to "fly home" or something like that in case of signal loss. Sorry, but I can't remember just where or how long ago. You might try searching the forum using a few search terms. i.e., "fly home, gps home, or such.

Or possibly someone else might chime in with knowlege of this..

that GPS would give me a OSD of my heading speed and altitude?

The GPS will output NMEA RS-232 serial data. To display it on the video, you would need a compatible OSD device that can translate that data into useful video overlay text. To fly to different locations, under the GPS's direction, will require much more hardware and expense.

To gain some knowledge about such an ambitious project, here are some useful keywords to search using Google: RCAP GPS, TinyTrak, APRS.