wperko

Servo Tester to 200° limits ?

B)Hi,

I have an AstroFlight Servo Tester ... it goes from 1.0ms to 2.0ms on the dial, but when I connect it to a general purpose servo the servo only turns about the center 90° ...

How do I get a servo tester to swing a servo the full 200° limit of many servos?

45 dergrees or a little more is all that a normal servo travels. Any more than that means the servo has been modified in some way. There are sail servos that have 360 degrees and more travel.

Ron

1-2ms pulses and the resulting 90° movement is the standard.

On analog servos it's usually possible to extend the travel by giving out of range pulses (0.5-2.5ms), but they're not meant for it in the first place.

45 dergrees or a little more is all that a normal servo travels. Any more than that means the servo has been modified in some way. There are sail servos that have 360 degrees and more travel.

Ron

B)Hi,

Who wants to be normal?

I don't want to be normal!

Abby Normal has always been more fun ... :P

1-2ms pulses and the resulting 90° movement is the standard.

On analog servos it's usually possible to extend the travel by giving out of range pulses (0.5-2.5ms), but they're not meant for it in the first place.

B)Hi,

Thanks, but since I'm not an electrical engineer ... I was hoping somebody could post the caps and resistors to make that wider range using the RC-CAM ServoTester.

I was hoping somebody could post the caps and resistors to make that wider range using the RC-CAM ServoTester.

Changing the caps and resistors on the RC-Cam servo tester will not increase the servo travel. To prevent damaging them, it restricts the travel to a safe/normal limits.

There are devices made for that purpose, that extend an incoming 1-2ms pulse to 0.5-2.5. But I wouldn't use one on a manual servo tester. On a typical R/C setup you'd set the transmitter's end points to a low 50% value (giving standard to the servo after the device is added), and slowly increase them until you reach the mechanical stops, but at slow speed. Using a servo tester you have nothing to limit speed and have a great risk of stripping the gear if you're not careful enough to go slowly near the end points.

Some have added 1k or so resistors to the ends of the feedback pot and removed the stops, however I've never tried it.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

I have on a Hitec HS-81 for my camera pan. Works great and I managed to get 170' turn out of mine!!! ;)