Sign in to follow this  
Doofer

Anyone come across a 6-axis gyro logger?

Has anyone come across a head movement detector, similar to the ones we use for FPV camera control, but offering information on all 6 axes (x,y,z linear, and rotation around x, y, z)? Ideally, with a built-in logger?

I ask, as I am interested in some medical research that is using head movement info for diagnostic purposes.

The current work has been carried out with equipment that uses twin cameras and 4 reflective dots on the person's head & shoulders, with software that works out how the head position about 30 times a second. They then analyse the movement data from several of the axes. It's quite interesting (to me, at least!).

It seems to me that since they are not looking at very low frequencies (low speeds of linear or rotational movement), the drift that solid-state gyros are liable to will not be an issue.

Anyone come across anything like this? No doubt the US military does such things with US military price tags, of course I'm wondering if there is something off the shelf somewhere. Or perhaps it's something one could 'knock up' with a PIC and a few sensors?

Pretty off-topic, I know. Do PM me if you want more details.

Well, with a similar reflective system you have the TrackIR, that is meant to track head movements (rotational and linear just as you're talking about) for PC games. If you want something IMU-based, the tracker that's in the Z800 goggles has similar capabilities, I don't know how far it goes on the software side though.

Those look like great places to start - thanks Kilrah.

Has anyone come across a head movement detector, similar to the ones we use for FPV camera control, but offering information on all 6 axes (x,y,z linear, and rotation around x, y, z)? Ideally, with a built-in logger?

I ask, as I am interested in some medical research that is using head movement info for diagnostic purposes.

This isn't exactly what you are asking, but I have stumbled across this on google:

http://books.google.com/books?id=6GnFavzHZ...TO1cKpHhDSiXiLk

Chapter 8, which the link takes you into is titled "Motion tracking requirements and technologies" and has some material specifically about head tracking. Might give you good background.