ZacT

New guy on the block

I've been interested in getting into the RC world for a while now. I recently saw a video of a camera mounted on a glider and that sealed the deal. I went out and bought myself a Blade CX2 Link. So far it's very apparent that I'm not a very good pilot ;)

I just wanted to introduce myself here; I'm going to be lurking around picking up tidbits of knowledge. My background is in electronics so I'm planning on tinkering quite a bit once I can get the aircraft off the ground. While I understand DC-DC circuits, gyros are something completely new to me, so I may be asking some fairly noobish questions.

I’ve been reading a few pages I’m really excited about this. If there are any “getting started” links that you guys have, I would be more then happy to read them.

Hi Zac,

I'm new here also and I must say there's a plethora of info on this site. Between here and http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php there's more info than one can absorb. Good luck with your heli. I'm still waiting for my Honey Bee King II and FPV equipment to arrive.

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Not really. I still ask ? there also. Nobody has replied to my DeLorme request here yet. Got my camera kit today. Still no info with it except hookup & don't use it in the rain. Does have a lens though so it's not a pin hole(?) type I don't think. Only thing that goes on the plane is about a 1 1/4" cube with a 1 1/2" antenna and a 9v battery. Whole thing weighs about 3 oz incl battery. 25 mw output. I'll hook it up on the bench this weekend & see how it does. Got an idea for a pan & tilt useing 2 4gm servos & nothing else. We'll see how it goes...

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Not really. I still ask ? there also. Nobody has replied to my DeLorme request here yet. Got my camera kit today. Still no info with it except hookup & don't use it in the rain. Does have a lens though so it's not a pin hole(?) type I don't think. Only thing that goes on the plane is about a 1 1/4" cube with a 1 1/2" antenna and a 9v battery. Whole thing weighs about 3 oz incl battery. 25 mw output. I'll hook it up on the bench this weekend & see how it does. Got an idea for a pan & tilt useing 2 4gm servos & nothing else. We'll see how it goes...

Yeah Ron.... try fabricating this kind of mount... servo on the bottom pans and the top servo tilts ;) It's a Kilrah design and very clever he is indeed!! ;):)

post-2240-1203147268_thumb.jpg

It's just a sail winch servo with 360 degree rotation and a 4 gm servo glued horizontaly to the output disk/arm with the camera glued to it's arm = 360+ degree pan and ~90 tilt. Can't get much easier than that.

I came up with this idea a while ago, it's very simple and it was for a model where I couldn't cut a hole in the fuselage/wing for one of the servos.

I joined the two servos (HS81MG) with doubble sided tape, but some ekstra securing could have been done.

PanTilt.jpg

Edited by Jan

That's basically how I'm planning to do it also. Need to find something to slow down the servos though so the pan & tilt will be slower than regular servo response.

I came up with this idea a while ago, it's very simple and it was for a model where I couldn't cut a hole in the fuselage/wing for one of the servos.

I joined the two servos (HS81MG) with doubble sided tape, but some ekstra securing could have been done.

PanTilt.jpg

I have a JR/Graupner 9X and it has an option where you can set the servo speed. It's a very nice function to get smooth camera movements.

I have an '88 Hi Tech Prism. Works like new. There no money in my budget far another $300, $400 radio. I'm getting old and probably wouldn't get my moneys worth out of it. Besides, there are plenty of servo slower downers around for $20 or less. Just gotta take the time to google them...

Don't get me wrong :-)

I just wanted to point out that slowing down the servos gives a smoother pan and tilt function.

I have an '88 Hi Tech Prism. Works like new. There no money in my budget far another $300, $400 radio. I'm getting old and probably wouldn't get my moneys worth out of it. Besides, there are plenty of servo slower downers around for $20 or less. Just gotta take the time to google them...

I understood that Jan and that's the reason I want to slow them down. I'm hoping to get a few programmed chips to do that and more.