Sign in to follow this  
W3FJW-Ron

DeLorme GPS

Has anyone ever used the Earthmate LT-20 as a gps unit? Just curious as they are available for around $59 to $69 including the mapping software. Seems like it could be possible to know the position of a plane within a reasonable distance 1.e. 20 feet or so & no matter where the plane is, you could see your way home.

I don't have enough spare brain cells left to figure it out myself.

From what I have seen, there hasn't been any forum interest in using the automotive market GPS devices. Instead, the micro sized OEM style GPS modules (e.g., EM-406A, EB-85, etc.) are being used by many of us. Some are using handheld models because they have integrated waypoint features and are RS-232 ported. However, since that particular Delorme GPS is USB ported, I can't think of any convenient way to RF transmit the GPS coordinates to your remote ground station PC.

For remote position telemetry, one method is to use ham radio based APRS. For model R/C applications, most users have avoided that and instead show the GPS data on their video camera's view by way of OSD hardware. But, the solution you choose is really up to your application's requirements.

Thanks MrR/C. Was just curious about the DeLorme since I have an extra gathering dust. Won't use APRS as that wouldn't do me any good. Way points can be input into the gps but it might be too big a struggle to use. I'll just find another project somewhere for the electronic work bench.