Hi there, new on this forum and new to the FPV "scene" To introduce myself, im 27 years old, from sweden. Been interested of r/c since i was wery young! Flying helis and planes reguarly. This FPV thing seems so interesting im willing to spend all my savings on it=) Iv'e ordered a easystar (that im going to mod with brushless) along with a 2.4ghz 500mw kit from rangevideo. Im still a little confused of wich solution im gonna use for video display, my question is, is there any good solution to hook up a laptop with the reciever, without any lag? or do you recommend a ~7" monitor? would be nice to use my laptops 17" screen. im going to buy goggles later.

happy flying

Edited by FPVsweden

I'm currently using a 10" laptop and have real time (no delay problems) video transmission with a USB TV box. It drains battery from a USB port, no external power source is required. So far I'm satisfied with the quality but I prefer to use a PMP for recording videos. I didn't go for a google because it well exceeds my budget, so I don't need a head tracker at the moment as well.

I'm currently using a 10" laptop and have real time (no delay problems) video transmission with a USB TV box. It drains battery from a USB port, no external power source is required. So far I'm satisfied with the quality but I prefer to use a PMP for recording videos. I didn't go for a google because it well exceeds my budget, so I don't need a head tracker at the moment as well.

If you don't have any lag time, then explain what is your set up. I'm using a Compact Presario with a AMD Turion64,2 gig ram and a ADS USB2 video capture box. It has a noticeable lag from the actual incoming video, so what are you doing or using that is correct?

I'm using a bit of everything, can be my camcorder (good quality, small and light but with some drawbacks, like pretty easy bluescreens on dropouts), at some point it was my 12" laptop with USB capture adapter, perfect but a tad bulky. Then the 7'' Asus R2H that's perfect for recording but requires some time finding the good settings due to the very limited processing power, i've never been able to get both a nice live display and recording at the same time, it's one or the other, plus the screen is a bit too dark outside (will certainly be the same with your 17"), and the pc is actually a bit too small to use efficiently for general use so I'm going to sell it. Now eyeing on the Fujitsu LifeBook P1620 series, with loads of power not to have any more problems, the keyboard that was lacking on the R2H making it a real pain for general use, and a slightly bigger screen with adequate resolution that will make it perfect, while still being able to make it "flat" by folding the screen for convenience :)

Sounds nice! so basicly my laptop, AMD 3300+ 512mb ram and a usb capuring card will do the trick? im gonna give it a shot and buy a usb device, if its not any good ill go with a 12v 7" monitor for live view to eliminate the possible lag! thanks for all the tips!

ps. maybe the cardbus (pcmcia) captioning devices are faster with less lag than the usb versions. (faster bus speed internally on the pc)? ds.

Anyone ever fed the vidio output to an rf modulator for channel 3 or 4 ?

ps. maybe the cardbus (pcmcia) captioning devices are faster with less lag than the usb versions. (faster bus speed internally on the pc)? ds.

Not really. With both pcmcia and USB you have a good 50% chance to get one that lags.

Stay away from models that sport hardware encoders (those usually keep several frames in a buffer in the device itself to do the encoding before sending the result to the PC, introducing the delay), and hope. It's not an interface question, it's how the device handles the signal. The simpler it is the more chances you have to get a good one (just digitizing the signal and sending the info to the PC, no fancy stuff, memory etc). The drivers can introduce a lag too.

Not really. With both pcmcia and USB you have a good 50% chance to get one that lags.

Stay away from models that sport hardware encoders (those usually keep several frames in a buffer in the device itself to do the encoding before sending the result to the PC, introducing the delay), and hope. It's not an interface question, it's how the device handles the signal. The simpler it is the more chances you have to get a good one (just digitizing the signal and sending the info to the PC, no fancy stuff, memory etc). The drivers can introduce a lag too.

Thats very true, didnt thik of that. ill keep that in mind!

Any suggestion which USB2 devices/manufactures are the best for feeding the signal directly to PC ?

Eventually I would like to buy it online. So any links to the product please.

Thank you

If you don't have any lag time, then explain what is your set up. I'm using a Compact Presario with a AMD Turion64,2 gig ram and a ADS USB2 video capture box. It has a noticeable lag from the actual incoming video, so what are you doing or using that is correct?

I'm using a SONY laptop TR5 (centrino 1.1G and 768mb DDR) and a GADMEI UTV330+ USB TV BOX. NO LAG, very smooth video under full screen mode. I also use a video splitter connector to link up the TV box and an Archos 605wifi together which is for recording AVI files. :)

I used to take a DV with me to the field, but I dont like the post editing. I suggest that you use a DVR or PMP to make recordings rather than making MPEG on your computer. Whenever I record MPEG on my laptop, a noticeable lag does hinder me from flying. No delay when I use laptop for viewing and PMP for recording.

post-3908-1203600968_thumb.jpg

I'm using a SONY laptop TR5 (centrino 1.1G and 768mb DDR) and a GADMEI UTV330+ USB TV BOX. NO LAG, very smooth video under full screen mode. I also use a video splitter connector to link up the TV box and an Archos 605wifi together which is for recording AVI files. :)

I used to take a DV with me to the field, but I dont like the post editing. I suggest that you use a DVR or PMP to make recordings rather than making MPEG on your computer. Whenever I record MPEG on my laptop, a noticeable lag does hinder me from flying. No delay when I use laptop for viewing and PMP for recording.

Ahhhh I get it now. Yes I know what you mean but I record my videos directly to my PC. I am disliking more and more the fact that I have to carry so much to the field but I'm trying to change that. BTW, I like that video splitter, simple and yet works great! I never seen ones like that and the ones I used (with long wires) tend to mess with the 75ohm law! I will try to find one like yours!!! Thanks!!! :D

Ahhhh I get it now. Yes I know what you mean but I record my videos directly to my PC. I am disliking more and more the fact that I have to carry so much to the field but I'm trying to change that. BTW, I like that video splitter, simple and yet works great! I never seen ones like that and the ones I used (with long wires) tend to mess with the 75ohm law! I will try to find one like yours!!! Thanks!!! :D

right, i got too many things to carry to the airfield. A video google may be an ultimate solution, but I'll have to save up a lot before I have all equipment like head tracker, Futaba transmitter and full range receiver. That really cost me a lot.

BTW, do yo have idea that how long JR full range receiver R900S can still be workable? :o

BTW, do yo have idea that how long JR full range receiver R900S can still be workable? :o

Sorry I don't have an answer to that one but maybe someone here might? :)

Okay, this post has been sitting for a bit and I'm currently in the market for a laptop and a USB capture device to view and record my videos. So I figured I should ask people if they have any suggestions on which USB device to get?

Don't know about the USB device but an HP Pavilion dv9410 would be a great unit to plug it into..

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

Cool stuff, Kilrah! Please let me know how this stuff works for your application. I'm especially curious about that hybrid video card. It has a really sweet set of features, so now I'm curious how much it cost and after you get it, how well it performs. So you're saying your Pinnacle PCTV100e USB card works to record video AND watch it live without lag?

I'm curious how much it cost

About $90

So you're saying your Pinnacle PCTV100e USB card works to record video AND watch it live without lag?

Yep. With my R2H I could only have a reduced quality live preview, but that was only because the processor was too weak to handle more. But as always, it's been discontinued for some time so it's virtually impossible to find one anymore.

Grr, seems the Fujitsu store who is supposed to sell only to US customers keeps finding my trickeries and cancelling my orders... so no P1620 until I find a good soul wanting to help me by doing the intermediate... :(

Grr, seems the Fujitsu store who is supposed to sell only to US customers keeps finding my trickeries and cancelling my orders... so no P1620 until I find a good soul wanting to help me by doing the intermediate... :(

Kilrah...

Why do you have to buy it in the US? I know Canada has it... ok a bit more in price ( http://store.shopfujitsu.com/ca/EcomCA/bui...do?series=P1620 ) but how about in your own back yard?

Here the Fujitsu website doesn't even list it in the product line. All you can find from from them and from retailers in Europe is the older P1610 model, and they sell it for about $3000...

Apart from that, if it comes from the US or Canada I don't care ;)

Edited by Kilrah

I'm thinking I'm going to have to do a buch of research, ask people what they are using and what results they've had, before I buy my USB device. I really want to view AND record on a laptop in real time. It seems like a simple, easy to carry, setup. I'm pretty sure my new laptop, whatever I end up buying, will easily be able to handle the task. I plan on buying a machine between $1000-1300. Nowadays laptops in that price range have very powerful procesors and grapics cards, so it should be up to the task.