Sign in to follow this  
D4RK1

General Questions about Video goggles

Hi,

i am really excited about the whole FPV business, but since my budget is kind of small, i can´t buy myself too many toys. But still i am really interested in some video goggles. I would like to know how it "feels" to use them?

Since the resolution is usually 640x480 and below i would like to know if one is able to see individual pixels? While reading about those goggles i often find the phrase "58" virtual TFT-LCD screen (at 1M distance)".

But does it look like a 58" screen with a resolution of only 640x480 which would be kind of horrible i guess ^^?

Jens

Edited by D4RK1

please read post number 12 and several others in that thread.

http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2530

>But does it look like a 58" screen with a resolution of only 640x480 which would be kind of horrible i guess

NO, this is funny but all vendors of goggles lie about the virtual size,

it is easy to stand 1m from a normal TV and take googles on/off and compare the screen size,

it is MUCH smaller that the figures they say, sorry.

also googles are not refference tv screens !! with super compressed optics you will expect the image to be "jammed"

the cheaper googles the more distortion, and color mis-aligment is also quite normal, worst near the corners of the image.

however it is still super cool to fly FPV via goggles, I suggest you wait with googles and try using a normal TV set to fly after,

it is big and heavy, most often also not easy to battery power either :-)

and with a TV set or LCD monitor you will have a lot of problems with sunlight jamming the picture,

now try goggles :-) even the worst googles will be much better to fly FPV after,

no sunlight issue, small light weight and can function for hrs on battery.

remember the picture recorded will be in excelent quality,

the googles is only for easy and smart navigation, not to enjoy the picture quality.

it is possible ok, I know to enjoy the picture quality of goggles, but you need to invest like 1000$ or more on the goggles only !

to have near perfect image quality.

I have access to mains power at my flying club field (lucky me) so I often bring a parasol and a TV set,

so friends can sit and look what I am doing, also I like to have it as a backup, if the battery in the goggles run out

or the tiny connector fall out.

I use a video splitter amplifier so I can feed the video from the receiver to goggles, TV, usb recorder at the same time.

Edited by ThomasScherrer

yes I made it my self, it was performing so well, so mark made me make a design for IF,

so you can goto the IF website and see all about it :-)

http://www.intelligentflight.com/Solution.VideoSplitter.aspx

oh, I see no pictures on that page, and it is not even in the shop, simply ask him for it.

most of the items I have designed for IF is with pictures and info on this page:

http://www.webx.dk/rc/video-wireless/video-osd.htm

you can also see picture of the video splitter.

however all the units on my private page are handsoldered prototypes and pictures by me :-)

so if some components are a bit mis-aligned or pictures a bit out of fucus, I am sorry.

But all units sold from IF are made prof by assembly companies.

Edited by ThomasScherrer

FYI it is fixed, please update your profile with from location, and please sign your post with your name,

people that hide behind alias will in general not been taken as seriously as people that dont hide,

this is a normal fact nothing I have invented :-)

FYI it is fixed, please update your profile with from location, and please sign your post with your name,

people that hide behind alias will in general not been taken as seriously as people that dont hide,

this is a normal fact nothing I have invented :-)

Sign my name and my location for everyone on the internet to read. Where's the form field for SSN and birthdate? lol :o

I recently bought a pair of R Vision 5.0 goggles from Range Video for $260. These are the only goggles I have ever had, and to be honest, the quality is a bit disappointing. The image is only really clear in the centre of the field of view. Around the outside edges I get these odd chromatic defects, where lines appear to have colours either side of them. Not sure if this is normal or not really.

I was after a pair of Sony Glasstrons for ages, but they are so rare now. Just that Sony gear is usually pretty good.

yes you are right, I got exactly the same type, I have heard this problem is not always the same, some are better,

but I have not seen it my self,

again I say the image in the goggles are not ment to be refference quality,

but for navigation they are still good.

some people have also different eyes, some dont see this problem or it does not look as bad in their eyes,

try to show your goggles to friends and ask what they think ?

I tried this and halve of the people said: "I see the issue you mention, but I dont think it is as bad as you say"