D4RK1

First Steps twowards Video Piloting :P

Hi,

i bought myself a simple 2,4 Ghz Wireless Camera Set to try some things out..

Everything seems to be working fine. I haven´t done any Range Tests so far since the weather is not very inviting to go outdoors lately..

I started building a setup to fit the camera assemblage to my Easy Star but i think the plugs currently used on my Set are too bulky and maybe also too heavy to be convenient...

I would like to cut the plugs and solder the pieces together.. to show you i prepared a picture...

Beginnerset.jpg

Im no electronics expert so i just thought i might show you this, maybe there are some issues about shielding or anything like that, that i haven´t cosidered.

Thx in advance,

Jens

good idea !! get rid of as much dumb weight as possible.

but some things need attention:

Camera run on 5V or 12V ? how do you power that in your plane ?

TX unit run on 5V or 12v ? same question :-)

I see a 9V battery, but be warned, in some of those kits I have seen 5V regulators hidden in plugs and plastic cable assembly,

so you need to be sure of all that before you cut.

no info about where you got the stuff ?

part numbers ?

maybe a good idea to ask where you got it ? sometimes they even know their products and can help you with voltage and current requrements, so you dont end up frying new stuff.

TX Unit runs on 9-12V, can´t tell you about the camera though.. i will simply measure the resulting voltage on the camera end after cutting the cable and hooking up a 9V Block... if its not 9V on the other side then i guess there is a regulator hidden in the cable :P

Thx a lot for mentioning that. Better safe than sorry =)

I got the stuff from Hong Kong via Ebay... Shop named RVMshop $73,05 including shipping.

Edited by D4RK1

Just to keep you posted.

I fried the cam, since, as you mentioned, there was a regulator hidden in the cables and i forgot to check for it. But already got another cheap CMOS camera. Hope to be able to do some testing in the near future. I also build the GP patch antenna.. we´ll see how good a job i did about that ^^.

Jens

Me, I'm going to dump the RCA plugs and get a few of the 1 ckt and 2 ckt mini jacks & plugs at Rat Shack... Will save a few grams of weight also.

Me, I'm going to dump the RCA plugs and get a few of the 1 ckt and 2 ckt mini jacks & plugs at Rat Shack... Will save a few grams of weight also.

Ron.. you're handy with PCB why don't you try whipping up a power pod like one I did. 11.1 800mAH lipo goes into the input, the splits up to power a 12 volt camera and 12 volt TX and.. a LM7805 with two capacitors to output 5 volt to a 5volt TX and 5 volt camera? I used connectors from Digi Key:

conn houseing 4 pos : wm2802-nd

conn term female: 22-24awg gold

Saves weight and needed space in the fuse! ;)

post-2240-1206415636_thumb.jpg

post-2240-1206415650_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMS

Any of my building anything probably won't happen until I get on the road in my RV. This, I hope, will be sometime during the summer of 09. If not 09 then 10 definatly. I'm not getting any younger. I've ordered about $1100 worth of motors, planes, most of my camera stuff and a slew of small parts and props, and have another $300 order to submit. I'll be hard to run down for mailings since I'll be moving all the time. Also have to build a trailer to carry my hobby shack as there's no room in the motorhome with all this stuff + have to do a lot of work on the mh yet..

Think I should have waited to get my LiPos though.

Hi Ron. You're not too far north of where I'm at. Probably about two and a half hours. Once you hit the road in your RV, any chance you'll be heading south? I would love to meet up and do some FPV flying with a fellow video flyer! And would like to check out your rolling hobby shack, too! LOL! That sounds like what I'm planning on doing when I retire! (Which won't be for another thirty years or so....)

Well Phil, My first trip will be east to visit family and a friend or two before it's too late to visit them. That will be at the rate of one tank of gas per month as that's all I can afford unless price comes back down to $2 per gal & then I'll be able to travel about 1,000 miles per month. As you can see, I'll have plenty of time to work on my hobby stuff. It will be about 3 to 4 years until I get back to the NW, but when I do, I'll look you up.

In the meantime, I'll be ordering RTF stuff from HC to sell in the campgrounds to make a small profit on to help keep me eating.

Ron

$2 per gallon !!!

It's about $10 per gallon in the UK :angry2:

Terry

5 X bigger ?

Terry

Actually I think fuel is still overall cheaper in the U.S. , but still.... Ron drives a house on wheels so you can imagine how that can be nasty on the wallet. ;)

Yeah..... 5mpg. It was only two years ago that gas was 2.17 per gal. up here in the NW...

That's $2 a mile, guess you won't be coming to the UK :P

A lot of bigger vehicles here use LPG as it's half the price.

Terry

Edited by Terry

LPG here is often higher than gas, but I should check into a conversion.

And no, I won't be making it to the UK. Can't find a deep water fording kit that I can afford. It's the cost of that 5,000 foot air intake which is $10 per foot.

If LPG is higher there then why would you want to change ?

LPG is half the price here due to lower TAX as it is seen as a GREEN fuel.

Terry

The change would be handy for when the price is lower. Our vehicle conversions can run on propane or gasoline. We have to pay road taxes on all propane we buy for use on the highways.

ok now... to get on-topic again B)

i build myself a nice plywood pan&tilt construction which fits onto my ES. I finished soldering the connections together (got rid of those standard plugs) and replaced the fried camera.. So far so good. Just now i tried the whole setup on the ground. Under thrust, the picture breaks up and gets real bad. I am so far using a brushed motor... i guess thats the reason for my problems?

I also use my 3s Lipo to simultaneously power the ESC(BEC), Camera & RX... dunno if that might be a problem...

Thx in advance, Jens =)

Edited by D4RK1

ok now... to get on-topic again B)

i build myself a nice plywood pan&tilt construction which fits onto my ES. I finished soldering the connections together (got rid of those standard plugs) and replaced the fried camera.. So far so good. Just now i tried the whole setup on the ground. Under thrust, the picture breaks up and gets real bad. I am so far using a brushed motor... i guess thats the reason for my problems?

I also use my 3s Lipo to simultaneously power the ESC(BEC), Camera & RX... dunno if that might be a problem...

Thx in advance, Jens =)

Oh you remind me of myself when I first started out :D Well I fixed that same problem by doing a few things like dumping those brushed motor in the garbage, mounting the ESC as far away as possible from the A/V TX and best of all... using a separate battery for video stuff and plane's power plant. You know "sometimes" ...actually it's more of a hit and miss that the planes motor/ESC causes EMI to leak back into the battery and travels through to your video gear causing big time distortion.

using a separate battery for video stuff and plane's power plant.

I second that suggestion!

thx for your input... i guess i´ll start by using a different power supply for the AV stuff, thought i might be able to save some weight here since weight carrying capacity and space are kind of scarce in my ES =P

Next i will try to mount the ESC as far away from the RX as possible, which is kind of hard given the space i got in my ES.. i already cut a hole between the servos to push the Lipo back there. Now i got more space in the main cabin but still not enough and i also need to use some weight in the nose to level out the plane again.

I am really looking forward to a bigger plane ^^, but first i gotta find out how to fly without trashing the plane on a regular basis ^^

And since i am already in the business of asking dumb questions... i am using a Modelcraft 40 Mhz MC800 (identical to the Sanwa RD8000) remote control and a matching Receiver. The Range of those systems is estimated to be more than 1500 m. But how do you get those ranges i usually see in FPV videos? They seem to be a bit farther away than that... I´ve read about diversity receivers (RC), how much do they boost the range? If they do at all :P

Edited by D4RK1

ok... seems i can keep my motor for a while at least... rigging an independend power supply did the trick... no glitches at full thrust... at least as long as Tx and RX are in the same room... range tests will come soon i hope.. so far i haven´t found a convenient way to record the feed. A while ago my camcorder did the trick, but right now i can´t get it to work the way i want it to :P And everytime i press "Record" on my Laptop... everything freezes :P Maybe i´ll just mount the stuff on my ES and go flying and ask a guy to tell me about the video quality and point my patch antenna for me ^^

And still another question... the power consumption of my tx is supposed to be 300 mA.... which would mean a 600 mAh Lipo could sustain it for about 2 hours, am i right? Since the camera is also on that Lipo its power consumption will add to the 300 mA of the tx.. but since i am not very good with electronics i haven´t figured out how i can calculate the 200 mW it is supposed to use into my mA calculation.

i tried W=VA.. that would imply... A=W/V.. A= 0,2W/11,1V= 0,018A which seems a bit low?

Edited by D4RK1

That's 18 mw if you did it all correctly. The cameras and transmitters are not very efficient. No way of telling how much output power you might end up with. The 200mw is the input power to the transmitter, not the output power which could be as low as 20 percent of the input power for these rigs.

Or am I reading your post wrong..?

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

i am not sure... i am trying to calculate the power consumption of my tx/camera combo. On the label of the tx the consumption is mentioned to be 300 mA whereas in the datasheet of the camera there is only "200 mW" for power consumption to be found... so i tried to calculate a value in mA to add it to my 300 mA of the tx. I came up with 18 mA (see the posting above) which seems to be a bit low... since the cameras on rangevideo have a power consumption around 200 mA, but then, those are all CCD cameras, mine is a simple CMOS.... but i dunno exactly... Maybe theres a general flaw to my thinking :P

Edited by D4RK1