Sign in to follow this  
philthyy

Which MiniDV camcorder to buy for recording?

I read somewhere here that a MiniDV camcorder is a good way to record my live video because it has a very clean compression system. I think I remember reading that they barely compress video at all, which is what I want. I've had more headaches with various video recorders than I care to list and now am thinking I'm just going to have to check Craigslist for a used MiniDV camcorder and use that to capture my videos. Anybody have any suggestions which ones to look for?

Anybody have any suggestions which ones to look for?

Well, hopefully not stating the obvious, one with AV-in ;) . One web site with a list of AV-in cams is a mountain biking site but the list should still be suitable: http://www.ride-downhill.com/kompatibel%20engl.html . I don't think its an exhaustive list but its pretty good.

Hi Phil,

I bought a Sony DCR-IP7E for this purpose. It is actually a Micro-MV video recorder, and not Mini-DV, but the quality is the same. The tapes are like dictaphone tapes, very small. I got it for about £140 off eBay. It has an AV input on it which you can connect to your receiver, but best of all, it is very small and easily fits in the palm of your hand. AFAIK, it is one of the smallest tape camcorders that there is. Originally retailed for £1600!

Andy.

Cool! Sounds exactly like what I'm after! So you've used it for recording your FPV videos? You like the recording quality? Thanks for the info and particularly the model number!

Just beware, at least here MicroMV tapes are about 5-10x the price of DV ones... gotta love proprietary and rare formats :wacko:

MicroMV actually records in MPEG-2.

Edited by Kilrah

Well, I'm in the US, but its possible they are extremely expensive here, too. I'm definitely going to keep looking for a good MiniDV camcorder that will work...checking craigslist daily!