tomer_inbar

FPV Recommended components

Hey there!

My name is Tomer, 16.5 Years old.

I initiated this hobby and the aim is FPV.

I collected some components for my EasyStar (that will be here in the future :) )

I began with the following list:

Airplane: Easystar

Camera: KX-131

Video Transmitter: Airwaves 612 RF

Video Receiver: Airwaves 623 RF

Video Goggles

Gyroscope: Gyrocontrol and VR Flying Kits

Remote Control: Futaba 3FR

----------------------------------------------------------------

*The compenents can change while I search the best for my FPV idea.

All this components arrived close to 1000$, I will go on to save money in the expected work.

The aim of this post is recommendations concerning for my FPV.

Thank's, and good day.

I wouldn't go with that 3-channel R/C. As you seem to be wanting to go further, with head tracking etc, you'll for sure have to change it very soon. Better wait and put the money right from the start rather than losing some changing after a couple of months only...

I wouldn't go with that 3-channel R/C. As you seem to be wanting to go further, with head tracking etc, you'll for sure have to change it very soon. Better wait and put the money right from the start rather than losing some changing after a couple of months only...

The truth is that this is all what I need to flying the airplane all around.

I've 3 channels: throttle lever, elevator and rudder.

The camera it self need pan & tilt system that will controlled by the gyroscope that affixed to my head on the Video Goggles.

This is less or more the idea.

I want range about 3 miles or more, the question is if the components is acceptable for my requisitions.

Thank's for the comment.

Welcome here, please fill in your location we can help and support you much better with this info.

I say if you have the RC system allready ?

got it real cheap ?

then assemble the plane and learn to fly it real good before adding FPV gear !

this will save you time and money..

but the suggested RC system is as Kilran say, a sure dead end :-)

it will handle the plane as the plane was initially intended, sure it will, but that is it.

you need a computer transmitter with LCD screen and memory and mixers and pupil input

and 6-8 channels is minimum,

I say go for a 9ch unit first, a bit more expensive now, but the 3ch is 100% waste of money, no future in it.

all FPV dudes want: LONG range, no noise, no dropouts, and cheap stuff !!

but be warned, you need a huge ground station and big receiver antennas and diversity

and a powerfull transmitter, look arround in this forum, see the video clips, read about what range and what gear was used,

and see the noise and droupouts they got.

Welcome here, please fill in your location we can help and support you much better with this info.

I say if you have the RC system allready ?

got it real cheap ?

then assemble the plane and learn to fly it real good before adding FPV gear !

this will save you time and money..

but the suggested RC system is as Kilran say, a sure dead end :-)

it will handle the plane as the plane was initially intended, sure it will, but that is it.

you need a computer transmitter with LCD screen and memory and mixers and pupil input

and 6-8 channels is minimum,

I say go for a 9ch unit first, a bit more expensive now, but the 3ch is 100% waste of money, no future in it.

all FPV dudes want: LONG range, no noise, no dropouts, and cheap stuff !!

but be warned, you need a huge ground station and big receiver antennas and diversity

and a powerfull transmitter, look arround in this forum, see the video clips, read about what range and what gear was used,

and see the noise and droupouts they got.

For the begining I will start with EasyStar without nothing, without FPV system.

Because it's my first time that I go on to hold airplane in the air.

So I will not take risk.

For you question I don't have any FPV systems and even the airplane it self.

I just learns about and searching idaes for my knowledgeability.

I know my self and I know that I can flying an airplane without any problem.

So, I will continue to scan the forum as you recommended.

In Context of the remote control,

I think that 3 channel is enough, I don't need more than 3 channels, It's cheap and do the work.

Maybe I will change my mind and will thoght in another way.

Thank's

Tomer

What we're trying to say is that yes, your 3 channel radio will work to fly your easystar. But as soon as you'll want to do something else, like use another plane, you'll need to change. And that will come much sooner than you think.

Also, most head trackers indeed use the trainer port connection and require some mixing capabilities. And it's a VERY good idea, even if you intend to use a headtracker, to have the possibility to control the camera manually.

So if you intend to go that way I wouldn't get anything less than a Futaba 7C.

Don´t go with that cheap 3 channels transmitter, it´s useless for r/c airplanes, and much more for fpv. If I were you I would go with a futaba ff9 second hand, they´re getting really cheap in that 2nd hand market. Just if you think you´ll like r/c airplanes and think you´ll stay with us :lol: just don´t waste your money, you´ll need it ;)

Ahhh what the heck.. I'll jump in too! :D DON'T DO IT.... FOR THE LIFE OF GOD!! :o DON'T BUY THAT 3 CHANNEL RADIO!!!! You'll be sorry real soon! :wacko:

BTW I haven't used that LCD monitor for about a year now. :)

post-2240-1205816337_thumb.jpg

Edited by JMS

The truth is that this is all what I need to flying the airplane all around.

I've 3 channels: throttle lever, elevator and rudder.

The camera it self need pan & tilt system that will controlled by the gyroscope that affixed to my head on the Video Goggles.

This is less or more the idea.

I want range about 3 miles or more, the question is if the components is acceptable for my requisitions.

Thank's for the comment.

I use only 3 channel :)

not need head tracker

3 miles,not problem

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=R52TGZCO

Setup/parts from Future Hobbies.

Friendly staff.

Ask Mr. Wade.

Edited by niceglider

Ok, Thank you for the comments,

You change my mind and you right,

The only problem is that Futuba 7 or 9 channel is to much and useless because I will control the camera by my headTracking (Gyroscope).

So all of you I assume right, so I will think about 4 channel radio and it will be great for the next airplane.

Good day everybody!

Ok, Thank you for the comments,

You change my mind and you right,

The only problem is that Futuba 7 or 9 channel is to much and useless because I will control the camera by my headTracking (Gyroscope).

So all of you I assume right, so I will think about 4 channel radio and it will be great for the next airplane.

Good day everybody!

The headtracker needs a radio link to send its data to the plane, so that the camera can respond. The headtracker needs two channels, for pan and tilt. It is possible to use a second radio for this, which means the plane carries two receivers, one for control, and one for camera pan and tilt control. To avoid the extra receiver, most people use one radio. In that case the headtracker is connected to that radio on the trainer port, the radio then combines the two channels of input from the headtracker with the 3 or 4 channels used to control the plane. So a three channel plane plus two channels for headtracker gives 5 channels or 6 channels used.

Thats not all though. Only a few radios make it easy to accept input from a headtracker but still allow control of the plane using normal controls. The Futaba 7C or 9C series (or the no longer sold 8U) make this easy but most brands of radio do not.

If you are prepared to use a second radio transmitter and receiver for the headtracker, a 4 channel radio will be ok, but you will then need another radio, providing two or more channels, for the headtracker. This may well be less expensive, especially if you already have some radio gear, but it will be more complex and error prone.

The headtracker needs a radio link to send its data to the plane, so that the camera can respond. The headtracker needs two channels, for pan and tilt. It is possible to use a second radio for this, which means the plane carries two receivers, one for control, and one for camera pan and tilt control. To avoid the extra receiver, most people use one radio. In that case the headtracker is connected to that radio on the trainer port, the radio then combines the two channels of input from the headtracker with the 3 or 4 channels used to control the plane. So a three channel plane plus two channels for headtracker gives 5 channels or 6 channels used.

Thats not all though. Only a few radios make it easy to accept input from a headtracker but still allow control of the plane using normal controls. The Futaba 7C or 9C series (or the no longer sold 8U) make this easy but most brands of radio do not.

If you are prepared to use a second radio transmitter and receiver for the headtracker, a 4 channel radio will be ok, but you will then need another radio, providing two or more channels, for the headtracker. This may well be less expensive, especially if you already have some radio gear, but it will be more complex and error prone.

ohh now I understand, thank's Andrew.

Because I use the headtracker I need 2 channels for the pan & tilt servos, so I can do that by a remote control with 5 or 6 channels, or by external source of another remote control with 2 channels at least, and after all one more tx for the pan & tilt system. It will be more expensive and more complicated (and heavy).

Ok, now when I understand all the story I can use 5 or 6 channels at least for full operation of the headtracker control.

You recommended the Futaba 7C or 9C series for good performance.

please correct me if I wrong.

thank's sir ;)

Sorry about the double post...

But, I've a question:

Can I connent the Video Goggles direct to the remote control with 5/6/7 channel that will controlled the pan & tilt by the gyroscope beside my Video Goggles?

If yes, how I do that?

Thank's

Edited by tomer_inbar

Hi! I'm Italian and my name is Titta. I've a X-3D-BL and I use it for areal video. I'm using a Samsung vpx 300 to record my video onboard.

My problem is I can't target very well a subject because I can't see what the camera is recording.

My camera is 150 gr and the landing gear is 40 gr. So I lift about 190 gr for 8-9 minutes with a 1500mAh lipo.

A solution is:

1) take the video signal from the Samsung and send it to a video google

2) Change the camera (actual video size 720x576) with a complete fvp sistem with a recorder

3) Mounting another camera like a view-finder and use a video google. In this case the problem is total weight.

What do you suggest? Thanks Titta

post-4488-1208978399_thumb.jpg

Edited by tittap123

The samsung has a video out right? Hack that cable so the wires go into your 900mhz tx(this will also reduce weight of the cable) which is received by the rx(that plugs into your googles) and sent to your goggles. Really is the only way to see what the camera is seeing. I'll have my easystar setup with a switch from a mini cam(to see where I'm flying) to the digital camera that is pointing directly down so I can see if I'm "on target" when taking aerial photos.

Ivan.

Edited by headhunter23

The samsung has a video out right? Hack that cable so the wires go into your 900mhz tx(this will also reduce weight of the cable) which is received by the rx(that plugs into your googles) and sent to your goggles. Really is the only way to see what the camera is seeing. I'll have my easystar setup with a switch from a mini cam(to see where I'm flying) to the digital camera that is pointing directly down so I can see if I'm "on target" when taking aerial photos.

Ivan.

Hi Ivan. Thank you! I think to understand. So I need the video out from samsung, a trasmitter, a receiver, and video google. Where I can buy it and what you suggest to buy? Thanks Titta

www.rangevideo.com they have all the things your looking for, but in terms of hacking your video out cable that would have to be done by you. There are four wires, black (ground), red(postive), white is analog audio and yellow is the video.

900mhz .5 watt tx and the rx should work great for you.

Ivan.

www.rangevideo.com they have all the things your looking for, but in terms of hacking your video out cable that would have to be done by you. There are four wires, black (ground), red(postive), white is analog audio and yellow is the video.

900mhz .5 watt tx and the rx should work great for you.

Ivan.

Thanks for the answer! Sorry I have a question: you wrote "900mhz .5 watt tx"= 900mhz dot 5 watt = 900mhz 5000mW?

I thing you want to write 0.5 watt? Right? No 5 Watt...

Thanks Titta