Sign in to follow this  
aaron_gx

Wing Dragon brushless conversion

Hello all,

I just finished converting my beloved wing dragon to brushless. I used a 1580KV motor, and a GWS 8x4 prop cut & balanced to 7" to clear my fuselage. With an 1100mAh lipo battery, I can keep this thing up in the air for upwards of 20 minutes. The power & thrust I now have is amazing compared to stock.

Just a photo or two, and I will go on to ask my real question...

DSC00611.jpg

DSC00609.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

I want to record in flight video. I have looked around a few places, and have found the Flycamone2 for sale at hobbylobby. I understand this is a good camera, for just recording. It will be rather expensive by the time I get it home to canada. Are there any other (cheaper) alternatives for recording video to an SD card?

The other thing I am interested in is eventually doing FPV. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a camera, tx & rx? I dont imagine I need a whole lot of transmission power for park flying, and I dont have my HAM liscence either. Would 80mW be enough for static free park flying?

80mW is plenty of RF power for park flying. Expecting static-free video is a lofty goal for most of us. :)

Thanks for the reply! Can you recommend some brand names and reasonable places to purchase equipment from? I understand the KX-131 camera is a popular choice for FPV.

What is the legal transmission limit for a "civillian"? I know you require the HAM operators for 500mW.

Can you recommend some brand names and reasonable places to purchase equipment from?

For equipment choices it is best to read through the various forums for information. I will agree that the KX-131 is a fine choice for a camera. It sets the minimum standard for our application.

What is the legal transmission limit for a "civillian"? I know you require the HAM operators for 500mW.

I don't know of any country that allows 500mW for non-digitally modulated A/V systems. If you are in the USA, then ALL of the popular A/V equipment you'll come across will require a ham license for our hobby application. Yes, there are some that are license free, but are rarely used.

The transmitters that are FCC approved for license free use are very low power (less than 0.5 milliwatts). The license free systems will also have a valid FCC registration number clearly printed on them. Long story short, if you wish to operate within the FCC regs then plan on getting a ham license. There is no reason to be afraid of doing that since the ham ticket is low cost (practically free) and the test is not difficult.