Jump to content

Attention: RC-CAM.com will be closing down August 2021.

The RC-Cam.com forum was the very first online community dedicated to the advancement of wireless video cameras on radio controlled (R/C) models. This is now called "FPV" (First Person View). We are proud of the contributions that our members have made to the FPV hobby.

We've seen significant changes over the last twenty years. Initially there were a lot of eager R/C hobbyist that built their own video systems. Allowing these creative individuals to share their work was the purpose of this site. Now the FPV market is flooded with low cost systems; Sadly DiY FPV video projects are now rarely discussed.

RC-CAM.com (main site and forum) will be closing down August 2021. This is being announced now (March 2021) so that everyone has time to download any information that is important to them. After the site is shutdown the information will no longer be available here.

We appreciate every member's involvement with advancing the FPV hobby. It is indeed sad to say goodbye to all our online friends. Be safe and stay healthy.

Wing Dragon brushless conversion

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I just finished converting my beloved wing dragon to brushless. I used a 1580KV motor, and a GWS 8x4 prop cut & balanced to 7" to clear my fuselage. With an 1100mAh lipo battery, I can keep this thing up in the air for upwards of 20 minutes. The power & thrust I now have is amazing compared to stock.

Just a photo or two, and I will go on to ask my real question...




I want to record in flight video. I have looked around a few places, and have found the Flycamone2 for sale at hobbylobby. I understand this is a good camera, for just recording. It will be rather expensive by the time I get it home to canada. Are there any other (cheaper) alternatives for recording video to an SD card?

The other thing I am interested in is eventually doing FPV. Should I just bite the bullet and buy a camera, tx & rx? I dont imagine I need a whole lot of transmission power for park flying, and I dont have my HAM liscence either. Would 80mW be enough for static free park flying?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply! Can you recommend some brand names and reasonable places to purchase equipment from? I understand the KX-131 camera is a popular choice for FPV.

What is the legal transmission limit for a "civillian"? I know you require the HAM operators for 500mW.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Can you recommend some brand names and reasonable places to purchase equipment from?

For equipment choices it is best to read through the various forums for information. I will agree that the KX-131 is a fine choice for a camera. It sets the minimum standard for our application.

What is the legal transmission limit for a "civillian"? I know you require the HAM operators for 500mW.

I don't know of any country that allows 500mW for non-digitally modulated A/V systems. If you are in the USA, then ALL of the popular A/V equipment you'll come across will require a ham license for our hobby application. Yes, there are some that are license free, but are rarely used.

The transmitters that are FCC approved for license free use are very low power (less than 0.5 milliwatts). The license free systems will also have a valid FCC registration number clearly printed on them. Long story short, if you wish to operate within the FCC regs then plan on getting a ham license. There is no reason to be afraid of doing that since the ham ticket is low cost (practically free) and the test is not difficult.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...