Hi Guys

I've got the dreaded horizontal lines on the video when using full power on my motor.

The camera and tx both run off a dedicated 2s lipo. Completely separate to the motor.

Plane is an EasyStar on the stock brushed motor which has three little capacitors attached.

Tx is 10mW 2.4GHz attached to the back of the camera.

The lines only seem to appear when on full power. They are not there when throttled back for cruising flight.

Any suggestions on how to cure this would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi Guys

I've got the dreaded horizontal lines on the video when using full power on my motor.

The camera and tx both run off a dedicated 2s lipo. Completely separate to the motor.

Plane is an EasyStar on the stock brushed motor which has three little capacitors attached.

Tx is 10mW 2.4GHz attached to the back of the camera.

The lines only seem to appear when on full power. They are not there when throttled back for cruising flight.

Any suggestions on how to cure this would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Yeah... dump that stock brushed motor in the toilet :D How about your placement of your ESC and planes RX? Is it far enough from the A/V TX?

The usual source of the video lines is (1) vibration that shakes the Tx's components and/or the Tx's metal lid (2) Loud audio noise, usually from the motor, that overdrives the audio sub-carrier and bleeds into the video signal.

In any case, the stock brushed motor deserves to be replaced by a good brushless system. You won't regret that sort of upgrade. :)

Hi Guys

The camera Tx is a board, not in a tin can, and is heatshrink attached to the back of the camera. The camera is on a pan and tilt. The Tx can only move/vibrate if the camera is moving/vibrating - which is possible given the pan and tilt mounting.

There is no microphone.

The motor ESC is in the plane fuselage, more or less vertically under the rear portion of the wing. 9" from camera/tx.

The plane's rx is on the floor of the fuselage, at the back of the cockpit opening. So approximately 3.5" vertically under the camera/tx.

For ease of connection/disconnection I run the main battery cables over the canopy base/camera mount platform, where they connect with Deans plugs. So this main power cable is 1.75" from the camera tx. The main power cable is twisted.

Given the 'built in' location of my ESC, swapping to a brushless motor would involve major surgery. I am more than happy with the climb performance I get with the stock motor. Are your suggestions about swapping the motor for a brushless based on better performance - or on the brushed motor being the likely source of the horizontal lines? (I wouldn't do the surgery to increase the performance - but I would have to if it would get rid of those pesky lines.)

Any more thoughts would be most appreciated!

Cheers

Edited by Playboysenior

The Tx can only move/vibrate if the camera is moving/vibrating - which is possible given the pan and tilt mounting.

In most installations there will be high frequency vibration from the motor. It is hard to see, but it is present. This can shake the little components on the RF board (and camera). In some situations the wiggling components will create lines and other artifacts.

But, it is hard to say what is going on in your installation. It's time to troubleshoot. Remove the Tx and camera from the model and power it up with a dedicated battery. Then move them near the brushed motor and ESC to see if it causes the video noise. On the other hand, if merely mechanically decoupling the Tx and camera eliminates the noise, then it is a vibration issue.

If you have a switching Vreg powering the Video gear then those too can cause issues in some installations. Long story short, these quirky problems always require a bit of investigation. Suspect everything. With microwave designs, everything matters.

Hi Guys

I've had a good play as per the suggestions.

The good news is that the horizontal lines are definitely vibration and only occur with the camera/tx assembly in the mount.

The camera mount is a simple alloy plate with a hole in it that the camera lens body fits tightly into. My next move will be to try and source some thin rubber/foam servo tape (but thinner) type material to line the alloy mount with, to see if the issue is metal to metal movement between the camera and the mount.

Cheers

I'd use 1/8th thick foam avaible at the hardware store so the foam has a chance to do it's thing...