Sign in to follow this  
richelieu

RC-Cam4

:huh:

A question for Mr RC Cam.

I am making the RC-Cam4 collinear antenna for the XCam, as described on your web site, but I am unclear on one particular step.

In step D you say:

"At this point it has been fully folded back over the jacket. Using a 25 to 37 watt soldering iron, tin the braid area that is about 1.2" back from the fold-over. This will stop the braid from unraveling."

OK - I've got the braid turtlenecked back over the jacket but I don't understand how much of the braid needs to be tinned, as the measurements given (1.2" in this step and 1.17" in next step) do sorta contradict each other according to my dim brain.

Do you mean tin from the fold-over for a length of 1.2" down the braid, or from the folded over end back up to the fold-over for a length of 1.2"?

Also, do you tin the whole area of the braid (i.e. right around the circumference) for the required length or is just a couple of strips of solder the correct length sufficient?

Many thanks,

Dave.

:wacko:

The tinning is just to prevent the shield's ragged edges from falling apart. Just tin it enough to hold it together. You could tin all of it if you want, but keep in mind that the poly dielectric plastic will easily distort and affect the coax's performance.

You should also consider trying a Ground Plane Antenna on the the Tx (it works better than the coaxial collinear, but is a little bit bulkier). Yb2normal shows you how to build one for 2.4Ghz operation: http://www.yb2normal.com/antenna3.html