Sign in to follow this  
W3FJW-Ron

Do you have...

a webpage "FPV Equipment for Dummies" on this forum somewhere? I enjoy reading the threads but at times I'm really in the dark about the equipment and how it works and what it works with?

For example.

Does the OSD have to be paired up with BOB to work? Or is it standalone....

Not knowing much about PICS, is there a place they can be programmed for a fee?

What components are compatible with another?

I've looked over the Eagletree site and find it comprehensible.

Where can I find out more about the equipment you fellows have developed or are presently developing?

Any & all info on the above will be much appreciated.

Sorry about my ignorance, but this is one part of electronics I've never delved into and would like to learn a bit about it..

Thank you all....

Ron

Edited by W3FJW-Ron

You know how helpful it would be to have this idea of thread in ever section for newbies like myself? Nothing but facts etc, no arguing on, no comments like this, just pure info in one place. Good idea. Would cut down a lot on newbie questions etc. ;)

This would be a tough nut to crack. Especially since the information is constantly evolving. The best thing to do is search the various hobby sites (Google works well too) for current information. Beyond that, simply post the questions.

Specific to your questions:

> Does the OSD have to be paired up with BOB to work? Or is it standalone....

The BOB series (BOB-1 thru BOB-4) are standalone Video OSD modules. They only handle the video side of things; your custom host does everything else. Full details are found at the mfg's web site, http://www.decadenet.com

> Not knowing much about PICS, is there a place they can be programmed for a fee?

This is complicated and depends on what you mean. For example:

(1) If you mean that you have a hex firmware file from someones prior work and want to have it programmed into your own PIC chip, then reputable chip programming houses will not touch it unless you have copyright ownership. If this is simply part of a online published hobby project then you could contact the author to see if they would supply one for a fee. However, keep in mind that hobby grade microcontroller chip programming systems are very low cost. Some can be made for next to nothing.

(2) If you mean that you have an idea that you want to implement as a custom program using a PIC (or any other microcontroller) and need to hire the talent to do that, then sure, that can be done. I understand that professional services are as little as $25/hr (India, Russia, etc.) but typically start at $125/hr for USA based services. On the other hand, the fellow next door, or an old work buddy, might be a budding programmer and would do it as a neighborly favor.

> What components are compatible with another?

If by "components" you mean video system doodads (versus electronic parts in general), then it's an ever evolving landscape. Things that used to work no longer do so. Things that gave us grief in the past have been improved and now work without incident. Some component choices and/or installation techniques work fine for some users, but fail miserably for others. So, it is best to look for recent forum topics and see what other users have to say. Otherwise, ask the supplier specific questions about your application.

> Where can I find out more about the equipment you fellows have developed or are presently developing?

Between rc-cam.com and rcgroups.com, your head can be in a constant daze reading about things that experimenters are doing. Many of these projects start out with good intentions, but seem to fade away as the developer loses interest or tends to raising their families. But some projects make it all the way to completion and are truly amazing.

Between rc-cam.com and rcgroups.com, your head can be in a constant daze reading about things that experimenters are doing

It already is. Ever since I found these forums. That's the reason I asked if there was a webpage for dummies so i can put it into perspective. So I take it that the OSD developed by Thomas and company just provides the info for BOB to display. If that's the case then it's one big hurdle you've helped me jump.

I appreciate the time you took answering my Questions. I'm in the same boat as headhunter, or more probably he's riding a faster boat and is way ahead.

Thanks, I appreciate it and will continue reading the threads....

So I take it that the OSD developed by Thomas and company just provides the info for BOB to display.

Like many others, ThomasS's OSD does not use a BOB OSD. He developed his own video engine using microcontrollers. That kind of solution reduces the Bill of Material costs by a huge amount, but increases software development complexity to a staggering level.

There are several model aircraft related OSD's floating around and the only one sold that uses a BOB board is Daniel's Dragon OSD. Everyone else rolled their own using a variety of solutions that have lower BOM cost.