Sign in to follow this  
videorov

Using servos over a 100ft cable to pan camera underwater

I wonder if a servo would be the thing to use for panning a camera in my waterproof housing for underwater

use 100ft down the cable. Can it go 100ft over the cabe? Is the servo better to use and smother then a stepper motor?

I would like to be able to pan left and right up to 180 degrees from center. Have a manual mode and a auto pan mode.

Can I do it with servos and the right contoller curcuit. Is there software out there so I can make my own

sequences.. I would like to run it from a contol box, not a computer. The power would be 12 volts on the boat.

Thanks

Edited by videorov

One carefuly controlled experiment is often times worth more than a thousand expert opinions. Get 100 feet of cable and try it out. I bet you could find 100 foot run of CAT5 cable anywhere and try it. Make a servo to RJ-45 adapter and you are good to go.

-dave

I wonder if a servo would be the thing to use for panning a camera in my waterproof housing for underwater

use 100ft down the cable. Can it go 100ft over the cabe? Is the servo better to use and smother then a stepper motor?

I would like to be able to pan left and right up to 180 degrees from center. Have a manual mode and a auto pan mode.

Can I do it with servos and the right contoller curcuit. Is there software out there so I can make my own

sequences.. I would like to run it from a contol box, not a computer. The power would be 12 volts on the boat.

Thanks

As long as the power is local it should work. You could use a 2 conductor cable (with a shield) and send both signals down the same cable. If you want to send the power over 100 ft I would re-think your approach. Even PoE equipment uses a much higher voltage (than a servos 5v) in order to reduce losses. So use a BEC or regulator of some sort to power the servos locally.......

*EDIT* for what it's worth...

http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/hfarticles/electro/v6-4-43.html

Edited by eickst

what I would do:

take a 24V to 5V switcher BEC

mount it near the servo end, modulate the servo pulse on the input voltage 24V,

use a filtered smithtrigger to get your pulse back,

use a DC block coil on both ends, so you can DC and pulse at the same time on one wire,

use RG58 cable it is cheap and easy to get.

Thanks

Hello Videorov,

I am also working on a ROV. My camera is a Hitachi VK-S234. It has a built in 12x optical zoom. It is controlled by RS-232. You can control the Zoom, Iris, Focus, Shutter speed among other things. I am trying to find a way to hook up a Radio Controlled transmitter without the RF module (the wireless portion) to a microcontroller. That way I can control the motors and camera over wire since radio waves don't go far underwater. You can see a couple photos of the camera on the Yahoo ROV Group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/robotrov/ under Nemo1 in the photos section. If your not a member of the group check it out.

Regards,

Dennis

They look like great cameras but are if I remember correctly 68 grams in weight or so, no RF deck, & cost quite a lot. Would be great on an airplane though if one had a RS232 uplink... Might take a co-pilot and a second transmitter & receiver for FPV but would be great for the UAV guys....